"You're just a dumb child"

TW - YELLING, CURSING,
UNSYMPATHETIC!WILBUR, SHAKING, CRYING
CW- JSCHLATT

Summary - Fundy is done being babied by Wilbur but the older man isn't having it. Schlatt saves the day.

Credit to @Waffleboi321 for the request!

"Fundy, you don't understand what's going on!"

Yes he did, of course he fucking did. He was Tommy's age and he understood fine, so why couldn't he?

"You're too young, just come with us, alright?"

Fuck that. He babied him all throughout the L'manburg war for independence for his suit that nobody bothered to help make. He babied him for wanting to be president and follow in his father's footsteps. He was NOT about to be babied right now.

"Come on, son! Schlatt's gonna show up soon and we need to go!"

Only then did Fundy realise that them arguing was forming a crowd. Well, less arguing, more Wilbur trying to persuade him to go with him to Pogtopia.

Which wasn't going to happen.

Despite some of his questionable decisions, Schlatt was a fair man. He was a better president than Wilbur ever was and it had only been a couple of weeks.

"I know you're young and this is your hometown but the bastard's gonna be here any sec-"

"Don't call him that,"

Though slightly shaky, Fundy's voice was firm. The other members of Manburg didn't dare move a muscle as Wilbur's face turned into a victimised expression.

"... Fundy? He's manipulating you! Can't you see that?"

"Go back to Pogtopia, Wil. You are not wanted, nor needed here,"

Thought it pained the fox to say it, he knew the man had to leave.

Wilbur, however, didn't.

Anger flashed through his fathers eyes as he grabbed the handle of his axe.

"WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?! YOU
STUPID, FUCKING FURRY! I'VE BEEN GONE A COUPLE OF WEEKS AND YOU'RE ALREADY BRAINWASHED! GOD, SCREW TOMMY, I MIGHT ASWELL JUST BLOW THIS PLACE UP NOW AND-"

"That. Is. Enough!"

Schlatt emerged from within the crowd, Quackity following after. He held his chin up high as he stood next to Fundy, Quackity standing slightly behind them.

"If I ever see you in these lands, if I EVER see you raise your voice at one of my citizens again, I will not hesitate to kill you. Do you understand?"

Wilbur took one last glance at his son. He turned away but not before spitting out five words that almost made Fundy cry on the spot.

"You're just a dumb child,"

And with that, he was gone.

Schlatt placed a hand on the fox's shoulder, guiding him to the whitehouse. Surprisingly, Quackity wasn't following the two.

After they were situated and out of people's view, Schlatt wrapped Fundy in a hug.

The furry stiffened at first, trying to work out what the hell was happening but soon eased into the comforting touch, trying to hold his tears back.

"It's alright Fundy, you can cry,"

And he did exactly that as he sobbed into the president's chest.

"Shh, it's okay. He was wrong, you know?"

The fox didn't feel like the man was right as he sobbed harder.

"You might not think so, but I sure do,"

They stood there like that for a couple of minutes, Fundy trying to calm himself down and Schlatt muttering small reassurances.

Not wanting to take advantage of Schlatt's kindness, Fundy pulled himself away from the hold he was in.

As Fundy wiped his eyes, he muttered a soft apology.

"Sorry about that and your suit and stuff..."

Schlatt's suit jacket and shirt were stained with tears, which normally would've made Fundy laugh.

"It's alright. He was your dad, I would be upset too,"

Nodding his head, Fundy reached a slightly shaking hand to his clothes, making himself presentable for the outside world.

"Have you got any duties today, Fundy?"

The fox softly shook his head. He was just going to mine for some more iron as he was close to running out.

"How about you stay for a little while? Quackity can be a little much at times,"

Chuckling at his own words, Schlatt gestured towards two chairs and sat in one of them, Fundy following in the other.

"Say, who is your mother?"

Schlatt knew this information but wanted to distract Fundy from his thoughts. Her name was Sally, surname unknown. Wilbur didn't really document many things about her.

"Her name was Sally... Sally the Salmon,"

"Okay, first of all, what the fuck?"

And the two spoke about meaningless things until sundown.

Fundy left the whitehouse with a small smile on his face and a new respect for his president.