2) cuore rosso | ii

He looked into the mirror once more. Cap, glasses, and turtleneck sweater matched with blue jeans. This time Steve didn't bother with wigs because either way the cap would've been sufficient. The location was quite dark, anyways. Nobody would've paid attention to a nobody like him.

"Time for work, I guess," he spoke, ready for today's investigation.

===

He made sure that he didn't attract any sort of attention. No impression, just nothing. All he needed to do is blend into the background and observe everything. Steve didn't show disgust or contempt seeing how poorly the host was treating those innocent animals like some sort of toys, entertainment. A mob wouldn't act like that.

The entire process ran smoothly. He sat at the very behind, hidden by the darkness. Audio recorded and hands skillfully jotting down all important information. Secretly, of course. If he got caught now, he'll probably be kicked out or worse, killed.

(But then he got the feelings that someone is staring at him the entire time. His eyes wandered around to seek, who, but instead he was met with backs of the audience in front of him.)

It was done quicker than his initial expectation. That's good. This room was so damn suffocating, anyways.

Steve walked out swiftly when everything was done. Mind busy thinking about how he should arrange his sentences as a report to his superior. He was only taken back to reality when realising someone tugged his sleeve. Steve looked back. His face quickly devoid of its color.

A familiar appearance. Face hidden but Steve knew he was smiling, amused. "Sir, may I take some of your time?"

He can't refuse.

===

Steve just followed to where the hell the Dolce Primo brought him to. Not daring to look up. "Here we are."

The place was small and gave out homely vibes. Abstract paintings hung on the striped wall, clean rug and a set of sofas and table in the middle. It's as if the room was purely decorated just for a quick rendezvous. "Don't just stand there. Please take a seat," the Don chuckled out, sensing his anxiety. Steve complied, taking a seat right in front of him.

"I actually plan to invite you for dinner, but unfortunately I already have a plan for tonight. Still glad that we still have the time for a chat," he said, sounding apologetic. Steve sweated.

What the hell? Why the hell is the Don acting close to him?

It's probably his face that showed his inner thoughts that the Don began to continued his words, "Please be comfortable. I just want to have a little chat. You seem like an interesting fellow." Ohoho, that sounds like a death flag.

"I'm nobody interesting, sir." He didn't know what to say, he never expected this to happen. Not at all.

"Oh please, call me Jem."
"...Sir Jem?"
"How about dropping the honorific off?"
He paused. A wry smile laced on his face. "I can't do that, Sir Jem."
"Alright."

"Ah, regarding what I just said, yes, you seem interesting to me." He softly laughed, voice robotically deep as usual. "Would you care for some tea first?"

"Please."

The Don stood up and walked out. Steve only realised that the Dolce Primo is quite short. If it's not for the tall boots that he wore, he'll probably won't even reach to his shoulders. Still, that didn't make him less overwhelming though.

Jem returned with a tray of tea and sweets. "Sorry if they didn't suit your taste. I just realised we barely had any tea leaves left." He sheepishly laughed, in which Steve just replied with a smile.

They had a long chat of various topics. From the auction they recently went to philosophy to business. Somehow, Jem seemed to trust him? (Is it naïveté, façade or merely pure trust? This time even his intuition couldn't tell)

And then he began to ask the real thing.

====

Joni enjoys messing around with Steve just for shits and giggles lol

Next chapter will be up tomorrow, and will conclude the Cuore Rosso part :)