3) cuore rosso | iii

Last part for this arc ;)

===

"What do you feel about me?" the Dolce Primo hummed cheerily, although his eyes, behind the mask, were clearly calculating, anticipating his response. There's something about his calmness that irked Steve a lot. (He's too calm, awfully calm. It's like he'd always awaited this to happen.)

Steve kept his silence. Guard up, he can't afford to reveal his identity this quickly although the Don seemed to know. "Well," he lowered his cap, hiding his expression. "You're certainly a great leader, I can understand how your reputation flourishes quickly." Infamous, but he dared not mention. In the lion den, any mistakes and he'll be eaten alive.

The Don laughed, amused. "That's good. Though it sounds a lil too overexaggerating. You know," he leaned closer, face close. Steve tensed up. "I'm not as great as they claimed me to be." He continued to grin light-heartedly.

"Anyways, why are you here, sir...?"

"Irwin," he quickly blurted out. "I'm just a representative for my famiglia." That's the cover, alright. He didn't mess anything up yet.

His grin widened. "Oh! If I may ask, which famiglia? I would love to have another chat with you next time."

Hesitation was his only reply. The Don sighed and said, "Well, it's okay if you don't wanna tell. I can't force you, no?" Either way I'm sure we'll meet again.

"I'm sorry." Steve averted his gaze.

"It's okay, no worries. Come drop me a visit sometimes. Just tell them that it's you and I'll make sure that they'll have the door opened up, for you." His tone sounded ominous, despite his expression. "I have to go. See you later, Irwin." With a subtle wave, the Don seemed to disappear from his sight.

Steve dropped to the floor, knees weak. "Good lord..." Sweats trickling down from his forehead out of nervousness.

Who the hell said that the Dolce Primo is a simple man was a fool.

===

How was it, Chocolat?」

Joni replied the call. 「Absolutely wonderful! I found a new friend. He's reeaaally nice.」 Another chuckle escaped from her mouth hearing Emilia's exasperated sigh.

The mental image of Emilia rubbing her forehead in annoyance was amusing to her. 「I'm not talking about that. The mission, how was it?

「A success. I've already taken out all the animals outside and planted the bombs.」Joni stopped for a moment and continued, 「Also if a man around Richard's height came to our headquarters, calling himself Irwin then please let him in. He's my new friend.」

Good. Also, what.」

「Just do it.」Joni realised that Emilia was unconvinced and quickly added up, 「He's an ally.」

After a long silence, Emilia let out a defeaning sigh. 「Alright, but if anything happens, it's your fault. Bye.」and she hanged the call.

Joni softly smiled. After making sure the whole situation was clean, she quickly went into the bathroom stall, removing her disguise. When she came out, she was no longer the Dolce Primo, instead just another cheery young woman, a civilian.

She went home wearing the same face. But who can blames her, though? A new friend will always be appreciated, no matter if it was built on thin ice of lies. Both of them were masquerading. One as a man (though she never claimed so, it's a dull assumption) and another as a simple underground member.

Joni knew he's not. His pretends weren't great. And Irwin, really? What a coincidence that it was also Julian's friend's name. Who shares the exact same face.

She remembered her brother telling that Irwin has a younger brother who worked in Interpol. Steve, wasn't it? Joni knew that was him, and her intuitions were always right.

But oh well, two can play the game. As long as Steve didn't tell her the truth, she can pretend too as simple friends.

===

18th December 20XX

Cuore Rosso Headquarters were bombed. Severe damages and loss of properties. 32 people were found injured but no loss of lives.

====

Finally catch up to the latest!

Should I start off next arc with Sofia's pov or continue with Joni meets Mikael?