Chapter 14

"The queen is back!" Someone cheered from the outskirts of the village. Elsa was a bit embarrassed as the villagers came out of their homes to welcome Kjerstin home. With Elsa happy and reminded of love once more, the snow and ice lifted from Arendelle and melted away into the sky. The eternal winter was no more.

As they reached the gates, Kristoff, Oliver, Signe, Olaf, Iduna and her siblings, and Heidi and Celin ran outside to the courtyard to greet their travelers.

Kristoff brought Anna into his arms, squeezing her in a tight hug. And she embraced her children. It was happy reunions all around, especially as Kai was reunited with his mother, free of ice and frost. She covered him in a barrage of kisses, to which he responded in embarrassment since Gerda was there.

Elsa stood off to the side, knowing she had no loved one to return home to. It was fine, though. She took a seat on a bench and simply watched as everyone around her conversed happily.

Jonis shifted his attention to his mother finally, spying her holding the anniversary box in her hands, not doing anything with it. He caught her off guard with a hug as he took a seat next to her. Kjerstin took notice and joined her mother and brother.

"You're not alone, mama." Kjerstin stated, "I hope you know that."

Elsa nodded slowly in affirmation.

"I do... but it doesn't change that your father is gone."

"We know. But, maybe there's something that can help." Jonis offered. He took his mother by the hand, Kjerstin eagerly following, quickly urging her back into the wagon. The two bid their significant others a quick goodbye, assuring they'd be back shortly.

With a snap of the reigns, the horse took off, heading for the royal burial site. This time, Elsa could finally have a proper goodbye, now that she had her children by her side.

As they made their way up the winding rock path up to the royal burial site, perched on a hilltop, it seemed the fog that had nestled during the day seemed to dissipate as the three arrived. Jonis secured the wagon and horse, and Kjerstin led them up to Conrad's burial stone. At the center of the royal burial site, were the late king Agnarr and queen Iduna's stones, to the immediate right, were the stones of Runeard and Rita, Agnarr's mother and father.

And now, to the left was Conrad's.

Elsa finally had the time to process Conrad's death properly, now that she saw his burial stone. With a deep sigh, she placed a hand next to his name's inscription. It was oddly comforting, but it still hurt either way.

"We wanted to wait to bring you home before we buried him," Jonis said, "but we eventually agreed we would bring you back when you were ready, and you could say goodbye to him on your own." He kneeled down next to his mother, resting his head in the crook of her shoulder and neck, much like he did as a little boy. Elsa managed a small smile, giving him a kiss on the forehead, gently running her hand through his hair.

Turning around, Elsa held her hand out for Kjerstin to join them in the hug. Reluctantly, she did, hugging her mother back as tightly as she could. Elsa could sense that something was wrong, however.

"Kjerstin, what's wrong?" The young queen fought back tears, but couldn't hide a single tear that slipped down her cheek. Elsa pursed her lips, cupping her daughter's face in her hand, wiping the tear away with her thumb.

"I just... I was so scared we would lose you too... I wasn't ready to not have a mom and a dad. I couldn't bear the thought of losing you right after losing dad..."

"Oh, Kjerstin... I know... I'm so sorry, I know that I have not been perfect, but I am always your mother, and I'm not going anywhere. We're stuck together, and as you said, we're a family. Nothing will change that. I just... have never processed grief normally, I suppose."