Chapter 7 - A Private Conversation

Politics were not something Luke felt he should be involved with. He had never properly studied the subject on account of how boring it was, and up until now, his only job had been to shut up and provide blood to his Master.

Not too long ago he considered his quiet life utterly boring, but now he longed for those days again.

He decided that if things didn't go well with exposing the knight's plan to Nicholas, then his last resort would be coming clean to his Master and taking a beating. As it stands, fleeing town was already too risky, particularly because he knew that they'd be captured and killed before ever making it to the border. So for now, speaking to Nicholas felt like the better option.

The walk through the mansion felt more arduous than ever before, and instead of starting in the dining hall like usual, Luke was steered towards the east wing where they stopped near a large set of double doors.

"Luke?" He heard the Archduke approach from behind.

Archibald bowed. "Sir Luke insisted on coming immediately rather than waiting till dinner. I thought you would appreciate the gesture."

Nicholas glanced between the two curiously. "Is that so?"

The Vampire looked somewhat relieved to see him there, and that made the human lower his guard just a bit. Then the Archduke brushed a hesitant hand against his cheek.

Luke's chest tightened as his resolve to end their relationship began to falter.

"I'm so glad you accepted my invitation." Nicholas went serious. "I was worried you may have been put off after what happened. I would understand why if that were the case, I just...I wasn't thinking at the time. I was afraid you'd get hurt, and I was angry that they had dared to attack while you were there so I..." He pulled back. "I just wanted to protect you."

That tightness in his chest only got stronger the longer the Vampire carried on, and Luke started clutching the bottom of his shirt as he struggled with his inner turmoil. He had come here to rat out the knight so he wouldn't be roped into her plans, not to make up with Nicholas. 

Though at the moment, Luke began to wonder just what would have happened had the Archduke not chosen to protect him when the crew attacked. 

Shaking his head, Luke decided he should focus on the task at hand. "I know. And...I'm sorry too. I just don't like to see people get hurt."

"I understand." Nicholas brushed a bit of hair out of the human's face. "You are a gentle soul."

Their eyes locked and Luke felt his heart flutter painfully. Nicholas didn't look anything like the domineering monster he had seen the other day. Today, he was back to his usual, kind and generous self.

"Though I must also apologize that I don't have anything prepared." The Archduke carried on. "I had planned for you to be here later, if at all. Though I can certainly adjust my schedule if it's for you."

"Oh, right, about that, I actually arrived early so we could have some time alone before dinner." Luke explained.

Nicholas froze, then his eyes began to sparkle excitedly. "You wanted to have some alone time...With me?"

"Without guards."

"...Of course!" The Vampire beamed and turned towards Archibald. "Cancel the rest of todays calendar!"

The servant balked. "But Master, you have a meeting with Archduke Greer today. What should I tell him?"

Nicholas waved his hand dismissively. "Tell him something more important came up, I'm sure he'll understand."