Chapter 14 - Invited

Frederick stared at Luke in disbelief. "What are you talking about?"

"Just now! There was a man in my room, and he told me I needed to make Nicholas drink this or else he'll kill us in two days." Luke showed him the strange substance.

The Vampire didn't look like he quite believed what the human was saying, yet he reached out for the bottle anyways. Luke quickly handed it over and he eyed the clear liquid carefully. After a moment of study, he handed it back with a strange change in attitude. "What are you planning to do?"

Luke's hands began to shake. "I don't want to hurt Nicholas, but...But I don't want...I don't want to get hurt either."

"I told you this was bound to happen." Frederick replied coldly. "Someone was going to use you to get to him. He was too arrogant to consider that, and you were too naive to believe otherwise."

"W-what do I do?"

The Vampire rubbed his chin and sighed. "I know what to do, but you're not going to like it."

"What?" He asked, desperate for an easy solution. "Tell me what to do!"

"...You need to give it to Nicholas."

Luke froze. That was not what he wanted to hear and his Master knew it, but he didn't offer any sympathy. "Luke, this is for your own good. The Archduke is a cruel, manipulative person and the territory would be better off without him."

"But...That's not what the papers say." Luke rebuffed. "The people like him. It's the Emperor who-"

"What about the Emperor?"

He clamped his mouth shut, remembering that he hadn't quite gotten to explain about Maximillia earlier, or that there was a large number of people wanting Nicholas to start a rebellion. 

Frederick waited for an answer, then got an idea. "Luke, I don't know what you've been told, but you need to think of this realistically. We could die if you make the wrong choice, so who do you care more about, hmm? The Archduke, who you've only known for a few months, or me?"

Another awkward silence later and Luke had tears streaming down his face, unable to make a decision. Fredrick scowled, irritated by the display. "Everyone makes mistakes, but it's mostly that bastard's fault for getting you involved in the first place."

"But...But he..." Luke tried to speak in Nicholas's defense, but his mind was going blank as he became more and more mentally worn out.

"The Archdukes are all alike. They don't care about their people. They only care about the next shiny object that can keep them entertained. Once he's bored with you, he'll leave you to the wolves. Just remember that I've spent decades looking after you, through thick and thin. No matter the difficulties I had to face, I've done everything for you."

Luke took an uneven breath and began to nod.

"And after everything I've had to sacrifice, you can do this one thing for me, can't you?" His Master stroked his head. "And once this is all behind us, it'll just be the two of us again, just like before."

The human stopped and stared up at the Vampire. As much as he cared for his Master, it was clear that he needed more people in his life than just Frederick. 

"What if I tell him?" Luke suggested.

Frederick stopped what he was doing and frowned. "You mean tell him that you were asked to poison him? Are you insane? That would get you arrested for treason!"

"No it wouldn't!" Luke shot back. "He wouldn't do that if I'm honest with him!"

"You don't understand what you're talking about! Any mention of attempted murder will always land you in jail. Then what? Where will that leave you? Alone in a cell with nothing to hide your identity. You'd be found out in an instant and eaten alive!"