Chapter 9 - The Article

He wanted to scream, 'what's that?', but he knew better. If his Master caught him outside, then he might as well sign his own death warrant. However, that didn't stop him from being curious about the article. Maybe he'd sneak it from the trash later?

Surely no one had found out he was human? He had been extremely careful, so that meant that the human from the article had to be someone else!

Excited by the prospect, he climbed the neighbors fence and struggled back onto the roof so he could return to his room. 

That day, Luke tossed and turned in bed as he grew more and more curious about whether or not there were more humans out there. He had always assumed he was the last, but even then, Luke knew he had to of come from somewhere. 

He wondered what a world full of humans would be like. What kinds of foods would they eat? What would they do for fun? 

Luke knew that at one point in history, humans walked the earth as commonly as Vampires did. No one knew what happened to them after that though. It was assumed that they had died off from simply being too weak. It was also suggested that they may have been over hunted for their blood, but another possibility that Luke entertained was that they may have gone into hiding. 

Whatever the case, he suddenly felt compelled to learn more. Going to a library would be optimal, but then he'd have to find a way to sneak passed not only his Master, but also Archibald and Maximillia who were located just outside his home now. 

He recalled that Nicholas had his own extensive library. Considering who he was, the Archduke might have better, more informative books than a public library. Furthermore, If he decided to go there then he'd only have his Master to sneak passed. 

Making up his mind, Luke began plotting his next escape, and his opportunity arrived only a few days later. 

Frederick had some urgent business to take care of in town, which meant he'd have to leave Luke home alone for a while. The human almost immediately put on his disguise and ran to the window to watch his Master leave. As soon as the man was out of sight, he waited another half hour, then climbed out onto the roof.

This time as he lowered himself down, his fingers couldn't keep their grip and he fell harder than intended. The impact caused pain to shoot up to his knees and he had to kneel down for a moment as he waited for it to pass. When it did, he noticed a slight sting on his hand and looked down to find that he had a small cut on his thumb. 

Everything went white as he realized the potential consequences of this injury. If any of his neighbors smelled his blood, he'd be found out for sure. Luckily he had his emergency kit. 

It was a small box that was the size of his palm. It had a few bandages and scented ointment that was easy to apply in a pinch. It was, once again, only intended for when the two of them were traveling between territories, so there wasn't much in it. Luke still opted to keep it in his pocket whenever he snuck out, just in case something like this happened. 

Making sure no one was nearby, he hurriedly treated the injury. He had gotten cuts like these before and learned that the overwhelming smell of the ointment blocked the scent of his blood quite efficiently. Once he was finished treating his thumb, he put the box back in his pocket and made his way towards the Mini.

As usual, Archibald was waiting, though instead of standing by the car he was actually sitting in it with a book. Luke knocked on the window to draw his attention.

"Is everything alright Master Luke?" Archibald asked.

"Yeah. Um...Do you think I can visit Nicholas today?"