Chapter 5

Tommy woke up on his side, staring at the far wall. His back felt a lot heavier than it had the days before. He sat up with a yawn, stretching his arms over his head. A few feathers littered his bed this time. 

He stood and turned to scoop up the feathers off of the blanket. The blonde took the armful of feathers and dumped them into the bucket of down and feathers. A few fell onto the floor, but he didn't bother with cleaning it up.

He yawned again and stretched his wings out, sighing in content. 

He curled them against his back and walked over to a chest, opening it and digging through a few shirts before pulling out the iconic red-and-white long sleeve. He went back over to his bed and grabbed his sword off of the wall, then cut slits into the back where his wings would pop out.

The teenager slid off the shirt he wore, then took the other and slipped it over his head. The blonde had a bit of trouble pushing his wings through the holes in his shirt. He failed to notice the small feathers on his wrists and the ones that arched over his eyebrows. Tommy set his sword on his bed and grabbed the belt off the hook on the wall, then slid the sword into its sheath.

He left the armor on its armor stand in the corner of his room, walking out.

Technoblade was leaning against the wall a few steps away from Tommy's room, boredly watching chat. He glanced up at Tommy, looked at chat again, thn looked back up at the blonde with a confused look in his eyes.

"Uh- Tommy, you aware of the feathers on your face?-" Techno dropped his left arm and the chat box disappeared.

"What?" Said teenager blinked.

"You have feathers." Techno crossed his arms over his chest. "On your face."

Tommy flicked his wings open and closed once.

"I'll go look-" Tommy muttered and jogged away. Techno huffed and went back to chat.

<Technoblade> tommy has feathers on his face

<WilburSoot> what?

<Technoblade> yeah

<Skeppy> what????

<BadBoyHalo> What's going on?

<WilburSoot> uhhh, nothing. nothing at all :)

<Sapnap> suuuure

Technoblade dropped his left arm again and groaned.

Up on the surface, Tommy was staring in shock at his reflection in the river.

His wings had gotten very large. Feathers followed the line of his eyebrows, leaving just a small space between. And feathers had begun to grow on his wrists.

Long story short, he was getting kind of scared now.

"Tommy!" 

The blonde turned.

Wilbur stood a few blocks away.

"Dream wants to talk. You don't need your armor."

"Uh- r-right." Tommy stood and stretched his wings out. The were huge now, almost touching his ankles.

"Geez.." The teenager heard Wilbur mutter as he lead them to the main part of the Dream SMP. Tommy sighed.

A bit of silence passed between them for a moment before Wilbur broke it.

"Technoblade said you had feathers on your face."

"Yeah I do, and there's some on my wrists." Tommy held out his arms when Wilbur glanced over.

"What the hell?" The man muttered.

"I don't know what's going on," The teenager dropped his arms. "Wilbur- I'm scared."

Wilbur glanced back to the blonde. "I don't know what's going on either, Tommy. Hopefully we'll find out soon." He gave a small, sympathetic smile.

Tommy nodded.

Silence fell over them again, but they were nearing Eret's tower.

The two slid around the cobblestone tracks and made their way down the other side of the hill. 

"Dream is gonna meet us at the Prime Church." Wilbur hummed as they walked down the wooden path.

"Got it big man."

The pair fell into silence yet again and quickly made it to the Holy Lands. Wilbur dropped down the steps with Tommy on his heels. The winged teenager was tense, and apparently that made him slowly drop like a chicken. Just barely after going down a step. Wilbur had walked a little ways before he noticed, turning to find Tommy touching to the ground. 

Wilbur chuckled.

Tommy groaned and touched down after the last step, though he flashed a smile.

The pair walked down to the entrance of the church and entered. The water in the 'o' of the POG on the floor was nearly silent as they walked around it. Dream was leaning against the lecterns at the front.

Dream looked up from chat  and dropped his arm, shoving off of the wood.

"Geez. It was just yesterday that we visited and you have feathers on your face."

"And my wrists," Tommy huffed, crossing his arms.

"We don't understand what's going on," Wilbur sighed. "You have any insight?"

Dream stuck his hands in his hoodie pocket. "The only thing I can think of is a glitch, but I feel like it would be over by now. This is really, really weird."

Tommy nodded softly and shifted so his hands were in his pant pockets. 

"Oh, Tommy. Show him how big your wings are now." Wilbur said, taking a few steps back as he was standing rather close to the winged boy.

"Uh, okay." Tommy shrugged and opened up his wings, curling them forward.

"Holy shit." Dream gasped. Wilbur looked awed.

The gold on each feather was shiny, and the red complemented the gold. The red was dark, and not shiny like the gold was. The feathers were small near Tommy's back, but became wider and longer as they fanned out, coming to a feather that nearly touched the floor. The blonde flapped his wings slowly before tucking them against his back again.

Wilbur was gaping.

Dream shifted. "Didn't know you could be so..." The masked man waved his hand in a small circle in the air. "...Graceful? Is that the word I'm looking for?" He muttered the last bit to himself.

Tommy huffed, but surprisingly said nothing.

"..Anyway," Dream continued. "I'm still 'troubleshooting'," He did air quotes. "But I'll get back to you as soon as I can."

Tommy's shoulders slumped.

"Alright, thanks Dream." Wilbur nodded. Tommy turned and led the way out of the church, leaving Dream behind.

"This is frustrating." Tommy groaned as they left the Holy Lands.

"I know Tommy," Wilbur sighed. "This is just a matter of waiting."

"...Right."