Chapter 1

Infinite exhaled shakily, his legs trembled as they carried him far away from the city he once dominated. He pushed himself to the back of a tree in Mystic Jungle to rest his aching body.

Pulling off his mask, Infinite cupped his hands over his face. "What have I done...?" he murmured.

All he remembered was getting defeated by Sonic and that pesky wolf on Eggman's towering base before the Phantom Ruby teleported him to the other side of the battlefield where he went unnoticed. He slipped away from the battlefield afterwards in humiliation. He couldn't recall what happened after he left but he assumed Sonic defeated Eggman like he always does.

Resting in Mystic Jungle is very risky - he knows that, but his body protested with every step he took so he had to rest, even for a few minutes. He had no food or water to keep him going so he trusted either death will claim him or he finds somewhere abandoned to raid.

He felt a rush of wind pass him and immediately tensed, he put on his mask and slipped away before he was noticed. Thankfully, it was pitch dark as it was night time so he blended in with the dark foliage around him.

"No sign of Infinite." A deep voice whispered into what looked to be a wrist communicator. "Yet."

Infinite's ears perked at the voice, he knew that voice oh so well. Shadow.

He seen the dark hedgehog rush off deeper into the jungle and sighed softly, that was close.

Infinite took this as his queue to leave, if he was found he could only guess what might happen to him and the ruby. He shuddered at the thought of them removing the ruby from his chest in some sort of surgery he didn't want to be part of.

He hissed silently and clutched his ribs with one hand. Damn, that wolf really cracked a rib or two.

Infinite knew he needed to find somewhere more permanent to rest or else he'll never recover.

--

His breathing became more short and rough as time passed with no rest. He forced his body to continue walking until he found somewhere to find solitude in, somewhere where he has a roof above his head.

He had been walking for a straight 4 hours without taking a break, he was very dehydrated and starving now.

The sun baked down onto his black and white fur, sizzling the poor jackal in the blistering heat of the day. However, Infinite did take off his mask so he can try to breathe more easily, he was sweating so much.

At long last, he found a small town a mile or two away from where he stood currently, and so he pushed his legs one more time to get closer to the town. He hoped - no, prayed - they weren't aware of the war or his destruction he caused on the world, he seriously needed some rest and food.

He spotted a large fire coming from the town, his curiosity spiked even further at the sight of the black smoke rising into the bright blue sky.

As he grew closer and closer to the town, he realised that these were different mobians'. They all had long black and white fur and tails, lengthy white hair - however some of them had different colours mixed into their hair - and white muzzles. He realised who they were, and felt like a thousand knives stabbing his heart.

These are jackals.

Where has he been all this time? He never knew there was another jackal village. The only thing he remembers from his life before being a mercenary is his own tiny village of jackals before it got pillaged and destroyed.

This village was definitely bigger and there was plenty of jackals living here.

His ruby pulsed on alert from the many jackals here, feeling a bit intimidated from them. He thought he was the only one left after his squad...