Chapter 4

It's been months since I started working , Ziyad has been very supportive. Naila ,Water..water, Ziyad had come in panting from his joggings which he usually did on weekends. I laughed at him. He completely ignored me and dashed to take a shower. I had placed his breakfast on the table before he came to the kitchen. You didn't wait for me, Ziyad complained. He believed eating together is the best and would strengthen our union. Sorry I was so hungry . I explained. Okay I understand.
I went to the bedroom to lie down. It was still early in the morning. I responded to a few text messages and emails. Firdaus has sent a picture of the family. Gosh I missed them so much . I spoke to them on phone anytime I had the time to.
Salam Amina, she called me. Her voice sounded pretty much different. I'm eating sorry, hello mrs isa . How are you doing.alhamdulilah (thank God) I responded . We had a long conversation. I miss you Naila . I call you back , I have to go. She said hurriedly . Bye then kisses Amina...

Ziyad joined me in bed as we watched an Islamic lecture by one of the scholars. This man is so learned, I said. Indeed he is . Ziyad responded.
We had a little discussion about our Deen (religion)
I felt nauseous all of a sudden. I don't feel okay zee. What's wrong, he asked. I retched . I darted into the bathroom on the second retch. Ziyad pursued me.
Naila , naila. My temperature had spiked . We need to see the doctor. He  said . My tummy hurts , I don't know why . I cried . Ziyad completely confused at his next move. He carried me into the car. You will be fine he said.
I felt quite okay when we reached the hospital. Let's go home , I'm okay I insisted. No we are seeing a doctor , you had me frightened back there , you are definitely seeing a doctor.ziyad ignored my plea.
The hospital makes me sick , the smell of it makes me feel worse .
The doctor came in excited,I have good news for you, both,mrs isa here is pregnant. Congratulations both of you . The doctor uttered. Ziyad stood still for a minute completely astounded. I smiled at him. Ziyad won't stop singing whiles we were on our way back home. I laughed the whole time at his horrible voice but he praised Allah mostly.
Weeks went by and my belly won't stop growing, my husband has stopped me from doing any tedious work. He has been so helpful. He came home earlier than previously.
Ziyad ...Ziyad i whispered to his ear.I'm hungry. I woke him up. Naila it's 2 am and you up already. It's not me . It's the baby. Poor baby, you always blamed him ,What do you want.. he asked politely. Please bring me the mangoes. I said to him.
And a bottle of water , I added whiles he exited.
I can't sleep zee, after consuming all those mangoes how could you. He teased. He opened his arm which I crawled right into it. You had better sleep. He ordered.
I giggled. Sweet dreams he said upon hearing me snore .he woke up and performed salah. Ziyad was always praying at night but the frequency had doubled up since I got pregnant.

I cried for days not wanting to do or go anywhere. I miscarried the baby when I was mid way through my second trimester. Naila , please stop crying. It's 12 midnight. Allah knows best. He comforted. Mother said , it happened to her before she had her first baby , and had another before having me and firdaus. I was so scared it will happen to me , and look it did. I know you are in pain , please calm down . He consoled . God has his own way of doing things. He added.
Please don't touch me , I told him when he tried to console me . Okay I won't just calm down. He said . Ziyad.. Ziyad I mentioned , tell me everything is going to be okay I added . Naila I promise you it's going to be okay. He dragged me close to him , kissing my forehead. We are in this together , don't you ever forget that.

We visited home a week later, Ziyad left me with the family for days while he stayed with his parents . Mum had sympathized with me . She told me her mum , that is my late grandmother experienced the same thing, her mother to encountered the same . It was a genetic problem . I prayed to Allah to not let my girls go through it . But he knows best. Please don't let it get to you. Look at me I have five amazing kids, and I have even forgotten I once went through what you feeling now . Have hope and pray to Allah my dear . Mum had a long talk with me of which dad joined later to advice me .
Ziyad and I were leaving tomorrow . Knock knock. Please come in . It was my three siblings Jamal , firdaus and Yusuf, they had Salma on a video call. They all reassured me . They spoke words of wisdom and hope into me . Thanks guys I appreciate the effort and love. They all hugged me . What about me Salma cried at her end, we laughed. I miss you guys so much . She said . I have to go , Salma added. Bye we love you. We all said to her. Let us be honest I never knew Jamal could be this emotional. Yusuf teased. I'm even surprised. I added . We all burst into laughter. Firdaus stayed with me throughout the night and made sure I was okay.

Ziyad's POV

Dad advised me to be strong for Naila. And that she needed me now more than ever. A tear dropped from eyes, I prayed nights upon night but we still lost him dad.  No don't say that. Allah is in control. You would have more and beautiful ones insha Allah (God willing). I act all strong so Naila feels okay but deep down I'm shattered. I vented out all my pain. Dad instilled so much hope in me such that I could feel myself grow out of the pain. Mum joined our conversation and assured me that better days are ahead .

Naila's POV

Ziyad picked me up early morning as we leave for the city. I waved the family goodbye. They wished me luck and success in my endeavors.love you all , I said blowing a kiss at them.

Whiles in bed one night , I thanked zee for suggesting the visit back home. It was really relieving. I know he is hurting but he's hiding it to be strong for me. I kissed him on the lips . He played along.

I made his lunch and packed it up. He drove me to my workplace before leaving for his. Bye zee .have a good day naila, he yelled . You too. I muttered.

He FaceTimed me during lunch hour, checking up on me. You need to trim your hair a little. I told him . You think , he said very unsure. Yeah it's a bit... I have to go , I got interrupted.Catch you later . I hanged up.

Days turned into months and it was our one year anniversary. Ziyad invited me over for a date after work . A date today !? I asked . Yeah he said . I'll send you the location in a bit. Okay I'd be expecting.
Ziyad was one damn of a romantic person. He always made things right even if it was little.

He had changed his suit looking all fresh and dolled up. That's my husband, I whispered proudly to myself whiles approaching him. We had the most wonderful night ever . Cheers to more years together Naila. He said softly looking directly into my eye.

We got home very exhausted. We prayed isha and went straight to bed .

Misfortunes do happen, it's up to to us to deal with it the right way by instilling hope and faith in us .

Allah loves those who have sabr (patience) in life. Knowing for sure he (Allah) has better plans.

Thanks once again for getting this far . Please vote and comment.