Prologue

"ALEX!" She yelled out to me .

I couldn't ignore her any longer . I couldn't stay mad at her . "What?" I say as it cracks in my voice.

"Could you just stop walking away from me , for one minute and listen," she grabbed my hand . This time I didn't push her away.

"What is it?" My voice softened.

"I turned him down," she says as she tries turn my body towards her .

I finally looked into her eyes, "you did?"

I see the tears welling in her eyes, making them glossy . "How could I? When I couldn't quite picture you out of my life?"

My heart stopped. "What do you mean?"

"This time apart was miserable for me. Do you know why?" She asks.

"Why?" I softly reply.

"Because you were missing and I was missing you," she says, moving closer to me, lifting her hand to my cheek.

"Why else?" I asked. I needed to hear her say it .

"Because..." she trails off, her bottom lip quivering.

This time I stepped in closer, feeling her breath hitch as I caress her face with my hand, "because what?"

"Because I love you. I never stopped."

That's all it took for my lips to crash onto hers . I wrapped my arms around her small frame and lifted her up into the air, hugging her tightly. "I love you too."

We separate for a moment with our forehead resting against each other , "I'm not scared anymore," she whispers.

"Good, because I'm not going to hold back anymore," I say to her as I place her back on solid ground and step back.

Her eyes glisten from the flood of tears that poured out during our confession to each other. "What're you doing?"

"I don't want to go slow . Not again. I don't want to listen to advice that won't work. I'm just going to go with what's right and try this again. For real," I tell her.

My pocket has been heavy for awhile now . Carrying the symbol of my promise, of my love for her . And although she ran the first time, I won't give her up this time. So before she can react, I'm down on one knee.

"Alex," she gasps as she claps her hands over her mouth.

"I love you . The moment I saw you, I knew you were going to be someone important. I thought that I was here to help you heal but really you were the missing puzzle in my life . I will always prove my love to you the same you have to me. We've been through so much and I can't imagine my world without seeing your smile. Please, do me the honor, be my wife?" I say as I open the little velvet box.

"Of course, over and over again , I will," she says as she crouches down to my level taking the ring out and handing it to me to place on her finger.

We sealed this promise with a kiss . Went home and made up for the short amount of time we lost because of fear and miscommunication.

If you told me a year ago that I would be going home with my fiance , I would've laughed at the absurd thought . I didn't think I'd ever get over my one-sided love but I did. I didn't think that the woman who crashed on Aria's couch over a brokenheart would be the same woman to heal mine .

▪︎A/N▪︎

Welcome everyone to Becoming First Lead. Yes, Alex gets the girl but man will it be a journey to get there.

Warning : there will be a little .... teeny tiny eenie mini bit of a love triangle . But not one that'll make you pull your hair out and scream lol.

I'm working on doing batches for the initial release so this prologue is just a teaser for what's to come.

In the meantime. If you're new and haven't read Can You Keep A Secret, you may want to binge on that before starting this story . This can still be read separately but to know certain characters, reading the first book will help.

Are you guys ready???

Oh .... please don't be mad during chapter one . 😝