vi. THE DEAL

warrior!
( chapter six )

   TRUE TO THEIR word, the Ares cabin successfully set their plan into motion. A week after their meeting, Ingrid found herself at a training session with the Aphrodite cabin.

"Start warming up! We'll begin in a few minutes." Clarisse announced to the cabins, her voice booming throughout the amphitheater. Ingrid sighed, pulling out her celestial bronze machete, spinning it around in her hand. Casey sidled up next to her, nudging her shoulder.

   "Hello my favorite twin. How are you on this fine afternoon?" He said, with a devilish grin on his face.

   Ingrid rolled her eyes. "I'm fine, but by the look on your face it will indefinitely get worse."

   Casey tutted. "Ah, but that's where you're wrong! We've set up a foolproof plan that is bound to make you happy."

   "Yeah, okay. We'll see about that," Ingrid scoffed. "Besides, I already know your plan! I was there!"

   "Eh, whatever," Casey said, waving his hand dismissively. "I'm still positive that after this session you'll be bouncing off the walls!"

   "Like I said, we'll see about that." Ingrid said, just as Clarisse motioned for everyone to gather around.

   "Alright, we're gonna practice dueling today. So everyone grab a partner, preferably with someone from the opposite cabin." Clarisse said, and everyone immediately scrambled to get a partner. Before she knew it, Ingrid and Piper were the only two standing without a partner. Ingrid flashed Clarisse a glare, in which she returned it with a wink.

Reluctantly, Ingrid joined Piper, who offered her a smile. "Sorry you got stuck with me, I know I'm new but I think I'm a pretty decent fighter."

Ingrid shook her head. "It's not that, I'm just mad at my siblings. They purposely put me with you."

Piper gave her a look of confusion. "I'm confused. Why would they do that?"

"I'll explain later. Now let's get dueling, newbie." Ingrid said, brandishing her machete. Piper returned the gesture, holding up her knife awkwardly. Ingrid almost let out a laugh, but held it in. Instead, she walked over to Piper, correcting her grip. "You're holding it awkwardly. Is this better?"

Piper nodded. "Thanks. Now how do we...?"

Ingrid let out a laugh that time. "Like this." At that, Ingrid took a stab at Piper's knife, who just nodded in understandment.

The two began to duel, their weapons clashing loudly. At one point, Ingrid stopped to brush the hair out of her face, in which Piper responded to by taking a jab at her breastplate. Unlucky for her, Ingrid was already a step ahead, and blocked the knife by grabbing Piper's wrist with her free hand. Ingrid pulled Piper close, with a small grin on her face. "Nice try."

"Damn. I thought that would've worked." Piper said with a glint in her eye.

Ingrid let out a laugh. "Yeah, maybe on my brother."

Piper smiled, wriggling her wrist free, taking a step back. "C'mon! Let's get back to it already."

Ingrid smiled as the two launched back into their brawl, practically moving in sync. True to her word, Piper was a decent fighter, and dueling with Ingrid made her even better.