Welcome to Happy Harbor

It was Friday, and they got together after lunch, waiting for a mission. Red Tornado had appeared, bearing the news that they 'would be tested soon enough', and that was it. It made them all pretty unhappy. Tornado told them to do some 'bonding activities', to know each other a little bit more.

They didn't have anything better to do. Megan (M'gann's Earth name, according to her) suggested a tour in the base, since she was living there. She was very thorough, going from the front door to the back door, giving all the details she heard her Uncle saying to her. Robin said a few things too, which made them all remember that he was in this hero thing longer than everyone there.

After the tour, they went to the kitchen. Megan had made some cookies, but they got burned because she was distracted. Wally (Kid Flash's name. They were on first-name basis now) didn't seemed to mind, as he ate them all, saying he had a 'weird metabolism'. Whatever this was.

After Wally's name revelation, they exchanged names. Aqualad's name (Kaldur'ahm, but call me Kaldur, he said) was kind of weird, being from Atlantis, and Robin couldn't give them his name.

"Batman forbid him to give anyone his name." Wally joked, teasing the boy with very dark shades. Conner wished he had x-ray vision, but he understood the reason behind the secret.

"He's just being careful." he murmured, which didn't passed by Robin, who gave him a smile.

"Exactly. Kid Mouth over here is just like his uncle: talks too much." he had a wicked grin on his lips, which made Conner smile back, glad he was part of the teasing.

Wally complained, and they laughed at his expense.

"What about you, Superboy?" Megan asked. "Do you have a name?"

Conner was surprised he hadn't shared his name with them yet. Looking at his friends - his first ones, the ones who freed him - he smiled.

"Yeah. I'm Conner."

Robin smiled widely, Wally and Kaldur doing the same.

"Who gave you the name?"

He bit his lip, not wanting to tell it was Madine, but he didn't want to lie either...

"Superman, duh." Robin said. "Who else?"

He looked at Robin and mouthed a 'thank you' when no one else was looking. Robin just smiled. It was nice that he had someone to trust with that secret. Someone who knew.

After they exchanged names, they got bored pretty fast. There was nothing on TV, and they didn't have a mission. About that, they asked Tornado again, and he said - again - that Batman would give them something soon enough.

Robin was getting impatient and mad. Kid Flash was just goofy, enjoying all the food the fridge had. Megan was anxious. Aqualad was just as calm as ever, altough disappointed that they weren't getting missions just yet.

Conner was just trying to enjoy the little things, like Madine had suggested when he first said his frustration of not going out yet to her, three days after the team was formed.

Soon Megan gave them an idea, and they went out on her bioship - a very nice and crazy thing - and started to have a tour of the place. Happy Harbor was a small city, but very alive in days like these. They could see the people walking around, doing their jobs, everyone trying to finish their errands so they could enjoy the weekend. It was nice to see.

And then they saw the fire. And heard the screams. And saw the smoke, coming from the public school. They went straight there, and got surprised with a small twister coming out of nowhere.

The first thing that passed their minds in that moment: well, there was the mission they were looking for.

~.~