Terrors

"I don't like this."

"You don't have to."

"It's dangerous."

"It's an occupational hazard, Superman. They know that."

"But... They're children!"

A sigh.

"M'gann is technically on her fifties, and Conner may be a child in some ways, but not about that."

An unhappy silence.

"I can see you pouting."

"You don't have eyes on the back of your cowl."

"..."

"Wait, do you?!"

"..."

Sigh. "I still don't like this, Bruce."

"I know. I don't either. But it's our only chance."

~.~

Conner hated prison.

He knew it was important for the mission. Whatever it was, his infiltration with M'gann there had a purpose. Batman always had a reason. And even if his team leader hadn't done anything to put them in unnecessary danger yet, he knew, with unmistakable certainty, that his father wouldn't let him do that if there was any other way. He knew that.

He had to admit that in the beginning it was kind of fun. Pretending he was someone he wasn't was kind of like acting, like being in one of those movies he and the Team loved watching when they spent the night at the Cave.

When Batman and Superman told them about the mission, he was surprised. And then, excited. It was big. Bigger than anything the team had done so far. Batman gave him a copy of his files on Tommy Terror - the guy he was going to impersonate - to study. It had everything on it. Powers, likes and dislikes, and tons of video footage for him to learn how to act like Tommy Terror. He studied diligently. He knew a lot depended on his - and M'gann's - credibility in the part.

Madine helped him look like Tommy. She dyed his hair blonde, the same shade Tommy's hair was. She carefully crafted the clothes for him, too, based in all the pictures she could find. When he appeared at the Cave in the day they were going to make the change, the others were surprised to see him so different. Well, everyone but Superman and Batman - who he supposed knew all about Madine's sewing skills.

They changed after the twins were knocked down an abandoned warehouse in the outskirts of New Orleans by Martian Manhunter and Superman. Then they were delivered to the SWAT team that took them straight to a car where Icicle Jr and Mr. Freeze were, being transported to Belle Reve.

That was their reason to be there. They needed to figure out why four ice villains had suddenly attacked on the Fourth of July, why they had let themselves be captured so easily, and more importantly - why they wanted to be in the same prison.

Conner figured it was a good thing he went to the same cell that Junior, and M'gann ended up with Killer Frost as a cellmate. That should make their mission easier. Hopefully.

~.~

Icicle's plan was to bust all prisoners out.

As soon as they knew that and told the League the news through the mind link they shared with Aqualad - waiting outside Belle Reve - they started infiltrating deeper into the operation the villains were trying to make. Conner was glad that even through it all, he managed to get a very helpful insight from Icicle Jr. about his feelings toward M'gann - against all odds.

In the end, after everything was said and done, after he kissed M'gann like he had seen in the movies they watched, and after the League picked them up - effectively ending their mission there, Conner was exhausted. But happy. He'd done good. Batman told them so. Superman, too.

And now, apparently, he had a girlfriend. Who was smiling beautifully at him, with that shy expression that made his stomach do weird things. Also, she was blushing. Despite her green skin. She was beautiful...

And he couldn't wait to tell his sister about that... She was going to freak out.