Disordered

He didn't call Madine when they got home. She was having fun, and after the weeks they had, he felt she needed it. But he made Conner shower and, since he couldn't sleep, they sat in the sofa. Clark didn't ask anything. He felt that so soon, Conner wasn't going to say anything. He just stayed there, with him, hoping he could feel safe enough to talk.

It took almost an hour, but then, Conner got closer to him, putting his head on his shoulder. Clark took him as a sign, and hugged him. He felt Conner sigh, and melt into the embrace. They stayed like this for a very long time. Watching TV, hugging each other. He knew Conner was different from Madine. He wouldn't talk then. Maybe later, so he just let him be comfortable. It was all he could do now.

~.~

Madine learned about what happened the next day, when she noticed her little brother down for some reason. She refrained from talking about it, but her eyes begged Clark for answers. Eventually he pushed her aside in her bedroom and told her what happened, when Conner decided he needed more time alone and locked himself up in his bedroom.

"But... I thought Batman and Manhunter made sure that nothing was going to happen!" She said.

"Me too, sweetie. But they didn't know M'gann was so powerful. She overtook the exercise. That's why it went wrong."

"So what can we do?" she asked, looking lost.

"For now just be here for him. When he's ready to talk, he will."

"You sure, dad?"

"I'm hoping."

~.~

Conner heard them talking. He knew they were worried with him, they wanted to help him. It warmed his heart that his family was there for him, after the whole exercise fiasco. But he didn't know how to tell them... he didn't know how to say what he felt when everything seemed hopeless in his mind. What would they think of him?

Would they send him away? Back to Cadmus?

Or would they just ignore him?

His heart was twisting with worry and pain from his own thoughts, and he didn't know what to do.

He just hoped it would pass, quickly.

~.~

One thing Madine needed to learn (and quickly, if she wanted to be a superhero) was patience. She had promised her dad she would give Conner time to think things through, and to actually look for them. She promised she would wait.

But she couldn't.

The week passed by without any changes.

Conner would go to school with her. He would smile and talk to their friends normally, like nothing was wrong, until they turned faces. And then he looked miserable. He would do the things he needed - like eating, answering questions, studying, playing football at the gym class. But everything he did was on autopilot. And, worst of all: he was avoiding Madine.

Maybe he knew she was going to ask. Maybe something about the exercise was about her, and he didn't know how to tell her. Whatever it was, he only had the minimum of social interaction with Madine. When they got home from school, he would just turn change clothes and go to the Cave. Where his friends were. Where his girlfriend was. He didn't come back until after dinner, and then he would say a few words to them and lock himself up in his room.

It was driving her mad. She couldn't stand it anymore. She had to talk to him, and it was going to be today.

So, when they were almost at their building, she asked: