xvii. book of love

➳ 𝕤𝕠𝕟𝕘 𝕤𝕖𝕝𝕖𝕔𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟: 𝕞𝕚𝕤𝕥𝕪 (𝕔𝕠𝕧𝕖𝕣) 𝕓𝕪 𝕝𝕖𝕤𝕝𝕖𝕪 𝕘𝕠𝕣𝕖

NOVEMBER 10th, 1955

DERAILING FROM the usual route she took with Babs, Donna instead burst through the doors of the café that had only opened an hour ago. In doing so Lou Caruthers looked to the quiet girl completely out of breath as she rode there in a rush to give her enough time to talk to her friend and make it to the school on time. Already knowing she wasn't here to buy anything he heaved a deep breath and looked out to the back of the café. "Goldie, your friend's here."

Donna gave him a wide-grin and swift nod as a silent form of thanks to which the man barely cracked a grin in return before continuing with his work. Arriving over to see it was her, Goldie held onto the collars of his school uniform to earn his friend shaking her head unsurprised by his behavior. "To what do I owe the pleasure this early in the morning."

"Well for one thing, I baked these for your mom." Raising a hand he eagerly extended them out to have his friend drop off the heart-shaped apple tarts from her stress induced baking last night. "And I may need some input. . .or advice rather."

He tilted his head over this, setting aside the container to focus his attention onto her. "It's not about your family is it?"

"No, no. Well I mean sure my mother has been especially cruel, but nothing I'm not already used to." Turning red over trying to build up the courage to ask him this, twirling circles between her fingers as a means of trying to calm her nerves. "How do you usually ask a girl out? I mean, from your perspective?"

Watching him now stifling a laugh over her increasing embarrassment from this, she huffed in disapproval to only become more red the longer he failed to respond. "So, you are dating that new kid? Never expected you to be the kind to fall for someone who willingly goes into a fight."

"I'm not dating, Marty!" Donna yelled, becoming high-pitched for her friend to raise a brow over this being unconvincing. "But he kinda asked me to the dance and I don't know why?"

"Aw, you're going with your boyfriend to the dance?"

She stomped her foot childishly before heaving out a deep breath. "I'm going with Samuel Baker, actually."

Immediately Goldie's laughter stopped to look over to her completely floored by this. "Samuel Baker? As in your friend from Sunday school, as in the boy you barely talked to outside of church." Without needing much information, he quickly picked up the pieces to understand why this was the case. "Their moms set you two up didn't they."

Ringing an invisible bell to suggest he was right, Donna kept her arms crossed as she leaned against the back of the booth nearest the door. "But Marty just. . .I don't know to explain it, but he'll look at me or tell me something and I just feel like myself? And it's different then when I'm with you or even the girls?"

"Donna, that means you like—"

"But, the boy is hiding something. He sticks out like a sore thumb and he's been doing that since I saw him in the diner that morning." She tilted her head up to him, wondering if she even made any sense. "Not to mention the fact I've barely known him for five days and I'm just as much open with him as you."