it's hyeongjun's world (and we're all living in it) pt. 3

it had been approximately three years since his breakup with minkyu.

hyeongjun never really moved on entirely from the experience, but decided to do the best he could with what he had. and while he was mostly busy - working morning shifts at wooseok's bakery, before training at the dance center after - he was relatively content with his life. he had good friends, a friend-with-affectionate-benefits, a job, and a promising future as a dance instructor ahead of him. and he made sure to fill up his social and work schedule as much as he could so he never had time to think about minkyu ever again.

(it worked. somewhat.)

"you've got bags under your eyes, kid," wooseok - hyeongjun's boss, ceo, head baker, surrogate father etc. - pouts at hyeongjun, cupping the younger's chubby little cheeks together and squishing them, "are you pushing yourself again?"

"...no?" hyeongjun tilts his head cutely.

he wasn't, seriously!

(liar.)

"don't lie to your boss, it's in bad form," wooseok reprimands, while proceeding to excessively rub hyeongjun's cheeks, "and make sure you rest when you can okay? you're twenty-three. you're still young. don't burn yourself out so fast."

what wooseok says rings true. but hyeongjun can't help it. it's stupid. he's aware of it. the fact that he's piling so much onto himself so he doesn't allow his mind to wander into emotional backstory territory. he's done crying over minkyu, he's had enough. it's been three fucking years, he has to get the fuck over it.

and yet, he can't help but remind himself of all the good times they had together. when minkyu kissed him for the first time, under the glow of the moonlight. when minkyu brought hyeongjun to disneyland as a surprise during his birthday. when minkyu graduated and they took over a thousand polaroids together just to commemorate that wonderful moment.

hyeongjun wonders if minkyu still has those polaroids.

aaaaaaand that's his cue to immediately do something to occupy his time.

he hates it. this has to stop. he has to forget. he has his whole life ahead of him, and he can't spend the entirety of it reminiscing over one boy who probably never even saw him in his own future in the first place.

(it's a lot harder than he claims it to be.)

the story doesn't end here.

in fact, this is where it all starts.

all it takes is for one lazy night at serim's place (again) for the pieces to come to place. serim's head lying on his lap, hyeongjun casually playing with serim's hair - which was dyed back to black - god bless - while they had some random k-drama playing on the flat screen. wonjin was there too, deciding that he was not going to spend the night alone without hyeongjun again - "i miss hugging you to sleep, hyeongjun-ah!" - and unceremoniously crashing serim's place after picking the both of them up from work.

(he doesn't bring it up, but he's starting to notice the way serim smiles a little too fondly at wonjin whenever the latter makes a dumb joke or starts teasing hyeongjun. and the way wonjin's hand lingers a little too closely to serim's while they're on the couch makes hyeongjun suspicious. they're barely touching, but hyeongjun can feel the domestic vibes radiating off the pair, especially wonjin starts feeding serim little bites of his rum & raisin vodka ice-cream.)

(it's cute.)

"what's the name of the show again?" hyeongjun asks lazily, not really caring as he silently judges the appearance of the protagonist. he's a 6/10, at best, hyeongjun thinks.