1.

1996

A blonde girl, called Valerie, went next to a girl, known as y/n, her best friend.
"Hey sweetie, did you study for the test?"
Y/n closed her locker and smiled at her friend.
"I did and I'm ready, what about you?"
"I was busy so..."
"So you don't know anything"
"Please help me, my father will kill me if I don't pass the exam"
Y/n smiled.
"Of course I will help you. It's what friends do"
Her friend hugged her.
"You are so sweet, kind and pure for this world. You are an angel"
Y/n took her friend's hand and went to class.

The noise of the pens writing on the papers was the only noise in the classroom. Some students looked at each other for help with the exam answers, without the professor noticing.

The blonde girl, looked at her friend, tapping the pen on the table to get her attention. Y/n looked at her, being careful not to be seen by the professor.

Valerie moved her lips asking for an answer to a question. Y/n looked around and raised her exam slightly to get her friend to copy.

That moment was interrupted by a bang in the corridors, not far from their classroom. All the students looked at each other worriedly, while the professor told them to stay calm.
"It was just a door being slammed"
But the bang was followed by shouts and the shouts were followed by other bangs.

By now it was obvious, there was a shooting going on.

The teacher said to the student to not scream and hide under their desks for protection.

Everyone looked at each other in terror.

Y/n looked at Valerie. The girl had her whole face wet with tears and was ready to cry.

At that moment, passing the exam to avoid being killed by the parents seemed like a trivial matter. The real challenge was to get trough that school day and not get killed by the gunshots.

After an hour, the students were taken to a safer place. Valerie was holding y/n by the hand as if it could help her get through the situation. But the shots continued and the students began to shout. In that moment of panic, another shot went through the walls of the school.

The only things y/n heard were the screams, pain, silence and finally everything went black.

Y/n was in a white room, there was no one with her. She tried to scream but only the echo was heard.
"Where am I?"
She kept walking without knowing where she was going, until, as if by magic, she found herself in a hospital.

Y/n saw doctors running through the corridors and people crying. She turned and saw doctors with a stretcher come running towards her. The girl covered herself with her hands, but they passed through her. She was confused.
"What?"
After, she heard someone shout.
"She is my best friend, I meed to see her!"
A man stopped her.
"Valerie?"
After, a man and a woman ran into the room with the doctor, passing trough the girl.
"Mom?"

Y/n didn't know what was happening. She followed them and went into the room. There was some blood and a body on a bed covered with a white blanket.
The woman was covering her face with her hands while was crying. Her husband hugged her with tears in his eyes.

"I'm sorry" Said the doctor
Y/n looked at him.
"You are sorry for what?"
After she looked at her parents.
"Mom please, why are you crying? I'm here, next to you. Look at me"
But the woman didn't hear her.
"The blow was too deep and she lost a lot of blood. We did everything necessary but we lost her" Continued the doctor
"Can we see her?" Asked the man
The doctor nodded and removed the blanket.
Y/n was confused and looked at the girl on the bed. She covered her mouth.
"I know why you can't hear or see me... I'm sorry"
A tear fell on her cheek seeing her parents cry.
After, the door opened and a girl entered.
"Y/n! Y/n! I want to see my best friend!"
The doctors stopped her.
Y/n looked at her friend sadly. She walked over and tried to hug her.
"Valerie I'm here, I promise. Please don't cry..."

Y/n couldn't bear the pain she caused to her family and friends. She walked the streets of Los Angeles as people walked through her. She decided to hide on an abandoned street. She sat down the ground and put her head between her legs, starting to cry.

A man who was walking by, heard her and walked next to her. He saw the girl surrounded by a strange golden light and it intrigued him.

"Hey baby girl, are you lost?"
She looked up.
"You can see me? And hear me?"
"Loud and clear"
"How is that possible? I'm dead, I saw my body without life..."
He sat next to her.
"That's because I'm dead too, but we are still on heart and it's like we can live a second time. People can't see us but other ghosts can"
"What happens now? I have no place to stay... No home, no friends..."
He smiled.
"You can come with me, I promise you I will take care of you as if you were my daughter, I will protect you, no one will hurt you. With me you will meet other people like us and you will not be alone"
Her eyes lit up.
"Would you really do it for me?"
"Of course, you are kind of... Special"
She smiled and hugged him.
"Thanks! You are so kind!"

The man didn't expect that, he felt strange and hugged her back. For the first time, he felt a different sensation than usual, a kind of affection for the girl.
"I want to give you a present"
He took the girl's wrist and put a star mark on it.
"What is this?"
"You will find out. Now it's time to go"
She nodded.
"Wait, my name is y/n Santiago, what's your?"
"Caleb Covington, I'm glad to meet you, sweet angel"

A. N. It sucks