Chapter One

"Watch it Mavy!" Roy Gramm yelled at his playful mustang. 

Roy was put in charge of the ranch after his younger sister Elizabeth left Henderson to go to LA. She built herself an art studio there where she painted and sold her work. She had a lot of fun in L.A but art in that form wasn't as highly admired as it was in Boston or New York. Roy loved the ranch and was happy to take it over, taking care of horses was all he knew. However Mavy was giving him some problems at the moment, he was stepping all over Roy! For some reason, today he was restless and wouldn't stop moving; he'd bumped Roy into the side of the stall about four times already. Roy managed to finally ease his way out of the stall before getting hit by Mavy again. 

"You know you could really hurt someone moving around like that? Geeze, you're just lucky Lizzie's coming back home she'd ring me a new one if she found out I sold you." 

As if Mavy was responding to his comment, Mavy pulled his head back and raised himself so that his front hooves were off the ground. If Roy didn't know any better he would've thought Mavy just laughed at him. Roy rolled his eyes and took the saddle back with him as he left the stable. He saw a car pull up as he was walking back to the house and waved at the driver. The car stopped in front of the house and in a second a brown haired girl jumped out the front of the car wearing blue denim jeans and a white buttoned up shirt. There was a cheery expression on her face and she ran towards Roy happily dropping her denim bag before she jumped on him and gave him a big hug. Roy picked her up slightly but only because she'd jumped on him and he was trying to keep his balance without dropping her. He set her down laughing with her; she pinched his cheek and said, 

"Well look at you big brother. You've become a handsome devil haven't you?" 

"What you thought I was ugly before?" 

"Well you could use some work sometimes." 

"Whatever you little punk." He said messing up her hair. 

"Come on don't do that you know how long it takes me to get my hair to look like this." she said trying to fix it up. 

Roy and Lizzie headed over to the car that she hopped out of. The driver got out of the front seat and waved to Roy. Roy raised his hand and greeted him, 

"Hey Jasper, how are you?" he said. 

"Pretty good, however that hoarder you call a sister has got my entire trunk and back seat filled with bags." Jasper answered. 

"Yeah and don't forget you have to help me get them all back out so I can take them in the house." Lizzie said with a smile. 

Jasper groaned at the thought of unloading all those suitcases. Roy clapped his friends shoulder and told him the sooner they get it done the sooner he can run away from Lizzie. Lizzie laughed, 

"Hey he should be so lucky, he doesn't have to live with me." 

"Well when you put it like that I guess I should count my blessings." Jasper responded. 

Jasper pulled the driver seat door open again and unlocked the trunk, Lizzie walked to the back to help with the unloading and to make sure they didn't break any of her things. 

"I'm really excited to see everyone on the ranch, do you still have the workers live in the house Roy?" Lizzie asked. 

"Ugh, some of them do but others like to stay at home, most of them have families and like to live closer to the schools and restaurants." Roy answered struggling with a bag. 

"Good gravy what do you have in these bags, rocks?"  he said. 

"Oh don't be such a girl." Lizzie said.