Chapter Six

Lizzie met Eddie at the parking lot just before the opening of the festival. It looked like a regular carnival with bumper cars, that machine where you hit the button with a mallet and hope the tool inside rings the bell. There were the guns that shot pellets at the metal figures moving around and the same game only with water for children's safety. There was a ring toss and then there was a tractor pull. They had many different rides for people to play on and they were advertising for the haunted house they were going to set up in October. The fall festival usually stayed for the entire fall season they normally packed up and left a few days after thanksgiving though. Eddie was holding Lizzie's hand as they walked through the area, the cool breeze blew her hair back from her shoulders as they walked and talked. Lizzie came to the game with the guns and paid to play. Eddie followed suit and the two tried to have a competition to see who could get the better prize. Of course Lizzie won the competition and got herself a giant Scooby Doo stuffed animal. Eddie got a small little bear which made Lizzie laugh, 

"Aw I feel bad maybe I should've dialed down a bit." she said. 

"Now you see that hurts my feelings. I didn't grow up learning how to shoot okay if you dialed it down my pride would've been hurt." 

"I'm sorry." she said laughing. 

"Well at least now I have something to give my sister for her new kid." 

"That's true, what child doesn’t love a bear." Lizzie agreed. 

They continued through the festival grounds and went on the tractor pull with a few other people. The place was packed even, it was everyone's favorite event aside from the summer bash that the Gramm's and Thomas' had at their ranches. Everyone in town was invited and practically everyone showed up. Lizzie didn't notice that Hank had arrived with Alison later on, she was having so much fun. She went into the house of mirrors with Eddie and got separated from him, she bumped into a whole bunch of mirrors Eddie actually had to go through the exit and start from the beginning again and lead her out. Lizzie had a headache by the time she came out of the house or mirrors but at least she was laughing. Alison and Hank saw the two coming out of the house of mirrors and met them at the exit. 

"Oh look who's here." Lizzie said smiling. 

"Surprise, surprise." Eddie said with his hands shoved in his pockets. 

"Oh come on Eddie, Hank is here with a girlfriend of his there's no way he would be followin' me 'round right Hank. Everyone goes to the fall festival even you." Lizzie said with false happiness. 

She knew he'd follow even if it was just to see who she was going with. She never went to the fall festival without him but she was hoping that he would've just stopped by to glance and get back to work. Hank smiled and said, 

"You're right even people like me show up at these things." 

"Well we should go put theses guys up," Lizzie said indicating her giant Scooby doo and Eddie's small bear. 

"Maybe we'll see you 'round the park later." Lizzie said. 

Lizzie walked off with Eddie following behind her Hank attempted to call after her but there was no use. He ushered Alison over to the bumper cars and they played on those for a while. He took her on the tractor pull and won her two stuffed teddy bears from a ring toss. She went into the house of mirrors alone while he waited by the exit. Hank didn't like going through there anymore because when he started developing more muscle he felt as though the house of mirrors were being built with less space. He wasn't claustrophobic but the last thing he wanted to see in the paper was local resident gets stuck in House of mirrors as a headline. When she came out, he took her to get some cotton candy; it had been nearly two hours since they had first seen Lizzie and Eddie. Hank was starting to wonder if they went home already. He was grateful for the fact that she at least took her brother's car to get there instead of riding in with Eddie. He finally caught Lizzie out of the corner of his eye when he was walking over to the Ferris wheel with Alison. He asked her to hold on for a second while he went to talk to her. Alison was fine with it, she told him if he didn't get back soon though she was going up on the Ferris wheel herself. Hank promised he'd be back in time to join her up there. Hank jogged up to where Lizzie was, she caught him coming over from the corner of her eye and turned to smile at him.