I'll Protect You from the Storm

Summary: Lena told Kara on the plane in Kaznia that she was supergirl, and Lena has felt angry at her and betrayed by her ever since then. Kara has tried over and over to apologize and make amends with Lena, but her attempts are always in vain. What happens when something completely unexpected brings the two women together?

Disclaimers: Lena never shot and killed lex, Winn never went to the future and Brainy stayed in the past (they're both at the DEO) there was no Crisis and Alex never left the DEO.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Kara had to keep trying, she just had to. There was absolutely no way she was going to give up anytime soon, and Alex knew that. After Kara's last attempt to apologize and make amends once again failed, the blonde finally decided to give Lena some space and back off for a while. It had been a few weeks, and that morning Alex received a call from her little sister that she was going to try again.

Kara made it clear that she was taking a day off from being Supergirl and she wouldn't be on comms, so she asked politely if J'onn and Nia could take over. No matter how much it frustrated the eldest Danver's that Kara was continuing to go after something that Alex believed to be hopeless, she knew the hero wouldn't hear any of it, especially since it was Lena Luthor they were talking about.

Of course Alex knew that her Sister was hopelessly in love with her former best friend, even if Kara was never able admit it to herself or anyone else. This fact was one of the only reasons that the aburnette hadn't tried to intervene more forcefully, and a lot sooner. That, and the fact that although Lena Luthor was exceptionally angry at Kara and continuously ignoring her, she was still living her life as normal.

No plots or schemes or intentions to conquer the world, just a broken friendship that Kara wouldn't give up hope of fixing. Sure, the thought did cross Alex's mind that maybe Lena would go Lex after finding out the news, but she quickly scolded herself for ever thinking like that knowing full well all that the younger Luthor had done to prove she wasn't like her family.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Kara hovered outside Lena Luthor's penthouse looking in as she ran through what she was going to say in her head over and over again. The blonde had first showed up at L-Corp as Kara Danvers that morning, but it was only Jess there who told her that Lena had been sick with a bug for a little while and was working from home. She of course knew that wasn't the case, and she hated to think that she was the reason Lena wasn't going into work.

The heroine closed her eyes and listened to the steady heartbeat coming from inside the seemingly empty penthouse as she took a few deep breaths and tried to compose herself. Her best friend's heartbeat had always done a good job of calming her, it was just different than other peoples. Probably because she's Lena Luthor and everything about her was different to Kara, more special.

Dirty blonde eyebrows furrowed slightly, a crinkle forming on the bridge of the hero's nose as the sound of the heartbeat got continuously closer, until she could tell that Lena was standing on the balcony looking up at her. Kara's eyes fluttered open slowly and a small smile formed at the corners of her lips as she admired Lena's beauty.

Her long raven locks were down and unstyled, slightly wavy as they cascaded down the woman's back and shoulders. She was wearing a loose flowy tank top and a pair of blue jeans that were cuffed at the ankles. Her bare face had a faint glow to it in the sunlight, and she was absolutely perfect.

Kara took one last deep breath before she floated towards her former best friend's (Rao she hated saying that) balcony and made a soft landing next to her, as the Ravenette turned to face her. "I was doing work in my study, and for some reason I just knew that you were listening to my heartbeat. The feeling I got while I was working on invoices was familiar, it was the same feeling I get late every night when you come to check on me and make sure I'm okay. I know you think I don't know you're there."