The Importance of Politeness

Before I start I'd like to explain the changes I made in regards to the ages: in the books/movies students in year 4 would be 14/15 years old but in this story they are 15/16 (everybody basically starts school a year later). Tao is in her sixth year and already 18 aka not underage!!

Additionally, this is my first fanfiction ever. I would greatly appreciate votes, comments and criticism <3

Chapter 1

Punctuality had never been her strongest subject but today it actually became a problem. Because being dropped off by her parents at the London train station with just a quick goodbye was one thing, but trying to enter platform 9 3/4 without being seen by any muggles was a totally different one. Especially when the time was just ticking by, not caring about the pressure it put on her.

Tapping her fingers nervously on her suitcase, Tao had to wait for yet another muggle family to go past her. She had been standing between platforms 9 and 10 for probably ten minutes and she was starting to get worried. Worried that she'll miss the Hogwarts Express. It was the London train station, of course there were going to be hundreds of people. Unfortunately though there was a very large number of non-wizards among them, which she hadn't considered before arriving here at basically the last minute.

The train always left at 11 am sharp and it was already 10.40. She could've easily been sitting in one of the many compartments already if it wasn't for all these damn muggles. Tao understood that if she just ran in the right moment, it probably wouldn't even matter if there was someone who saw her since she would be gone the next moment, but she didn't. Partially because of that woman with her two sons and crying daughter trying to catch their train and that one business man with his black leather briefcase who rudely pushed people out of his way. Partially -she had to admit- because she was a bit nervous.

This was Tao's first time taking the Hogwarts Express from platform 9 3/4. It was stupid, really- the only thing she had to do was start running towards the wall, but without any company she wasn't all that sure. She was still a little mad at her parents for that hurried goodbye. They were in a rush because of some important situation in the ministry of magic so it wasn't really their fault, but it sucked nonetheless. If she was not going to see them for a whole semester, the least they could do is say their goodbyes properly.

"Tao, honey," her mum had said, "I hope you know how much I love you. I want you to enjoy your year at Hogwarts and you know that you can always send me an owl if there is anything you need to talk about," she told her with a sad smile on her face. Tao's mother hated it that her job had come between her and her daughter once again. It had happened before but it didn't make this whole thing any better.

Lenora Novak had not only been Tao's mother but also her teacher. She and her husband had decided against a regular education. That way they were able to teach Tao what they thought was important, additionally to the national curriculum. It had worked out great for the first couple of years but as Tao grew older, her subjects became more difficult and covering all important contents became almost impossible.

Being homeschooled had its perks but ever since rumors of the return of the Dark Lord started to appear, teaching Tao and managing work in the ministry had become too much to handle. After some time to think it all over they decided to send her to Hogwarts. It was both the closest and safest school to their home in London. The headmaster Albus Dumbledore was known to be one of the most powerful wizards to exist at the moment so Lenora felt a bit more at ease sending her daughter there for a year.