Crucial Assignments

Chapter 5

For the next few weeks, nothing happened that was really worth mentioning.

Tao was now officially part of the Gryffindor group with the twins, Harry, Ron and Hermione. She spent the majority of her time with them in class, eating meals or hanging out. They even gave the slytherin the password to the Gryffindor common room, which was technically strictly forbidden so they had to be careful. If the group was to be caught by someone who'd tell a professor they could all get into a lot of trouble. It was why Hermione was rather reluctant towards the idea of sneaking her in at first.

Usually Tao visited her friends there in the late evenings when most students had gone to bed already. Once there was a random 4th year who had walked in on them playing a game but apparently people in Gryffindor were much more chill than the ones in Tao's house. He thought it was cool and asked if he could therefore invite a Ravenclaw friend of his too.

In regards to her fellow Slytherins, Tao got along with Daphne, even though they usually only held small talk when they were together in their room, and a guy from her grade called Blaise Zabini. He was good looking and funny. The only issue was that he was friends with Malfoy.

The blond had been able to pick at every little thing Tao said or did to the point that she almost casted a spell on him so he would finally shut his bloody mouth. His remarks never hurt her but they were annoying her to death. She knew better than to properly harm the boy though because of his influential parents. Because if she knew one thing, it was that he'd be screaming for his daddy the second something happened. And not even Tao's wit could save her from what would follow.

The game Tao and her beloved Potions professor had started that one infamous detention had been going on ever since. The first week was uneventful with the exception of Snape telling her he had reduced her detention and that she was free to go. It had surprised her and she had still felt a bit hurt by getting rejected. That changed the following week though.

Every Potions lesson Tao had, she started imagining scenarios that turned dirtier every time. At first it didn't seem to affect the older man at all but by the end of the week she had thought she noticed a slight shift when he stood in front of the class. Occasionally he paused in the middle of a sentence, seemingly random, probably to listen to and process one of her thoughts. Nobody else had noticed the changes, most likely due to his slow pattern of speech but Tao knew that it was different.

Currently, she was sitting in his classroom talking to the twins before the lesson started. Instead of thinking of new pranks to pull, they were planning a Halloween party. Tao hadn't celebrated it before but George promised it was fun when they all dressed up in costumes for a night. She found it ironic that muggles pretended to be witches or vampires, as if they didn't actually exist. The Slytherin was on board with the idea immediatly, she thought it sounded super fun, she was very excited now.

The chatter in the dungeon was silenced by the typical dramatic entrance of Professor Snape. One thing Tao found highly useful was learning about his first name. It was Severus. And although (read: especially) she knew that he did not approve of it, she liked calling him that.

Over the last few weeks they finally started brewing potions, which made the class itself a lot more interesting for her. They started off with more boring ones but gathering all the ingredients and throwing them into a pot was something Tao enjoyed doing. Hopefully they would soon make something interesting though. Like the veritaserum or something. Tao would love to get her hands on such a useful potion, especially since the twins were talking about party games; one of them being potions roulette. She had never played before so they explained: essentially, everyone took a shot- with the catch that at least one of them would be spiked with a few drops of veritaserum, making them spill all their secrets. So if someone was hiding something juicy, everyone would learn about it, if the right questions were proposed.