Detention Shenanigans

Chapter 3

After the feast the students walked back to their common rooms. Unfortunately Tao didn't get the chance to talk to Hermione and the others again but she hoped she would be able to tomorrow. The thought that she maybe even shared classes with some of the group made her happy. She didn't want to come off as clingy though, so she might have to hold back on her excitement a little bit.

Besides, she had other things she could focus on. For example, her dormitory and common room were the literal dungeons of the castle. She found it a bit odd but there were dark leather couches, tapestries with large serpents on the walls and a broad fireplace that gave the room a warmer ambience that actually made it kind of cosy.

What didn't have a warm touch though was the greeting she received from Professor Snape who had the duty to introduce himself to the new student.

He walked silently with all the other Slytherins to the dungeon and didn't acknowledge Tao's existence whatsoever. Only when the boys and girls separated to go to their own dormitory, she stood alone with the professor in the middle of the common room. At first Tao had just been paying attention to the interior of the castle but once a throat was cleared behind her, she turned around to look up into the dark eyes of the long haired man. Close up it was easier for Tao to read his expression even though it was obvious that he hid his emotions pretty well.

"Well," he started off, "I should not be surprised." He looked at her sceptically. (That man really loved dramatic pauses, didn't he? it must take forever for him to finish any thought.) For a second Tao didn't know what to say so she just threw him a self-pleased smile. But then she remembered-

"Are you going to take 50 points from Slytherin, Sir?" The tone of her voice sounded innocent but right beneath the surface she was smug about having put the man in this position. After the system of the house points had been explained during Dumbledore's speech, she knew that extracting points from his own house wasn't a smart decision (especially not that many), but if he wouldn't do it, he would let her get away with talking disrespectfully to him.

The professor seemed to be aware of the predicament he was in. He looked at her silently while probably thinking of a punishment he deemed fitting. Tao didn't have a choice but to return his stare.

"I will let this one slide," he said slowly, practically spitting out the words with disgust. It was obvious that he detested saying that. Warningly, he added,"but if you dare to disrespect me again, it will have consequences."

Well that Tao could live with. It wasn't not like he could actually punish her. He was just a teacher. The worst he could do was give her detention. Because as cruel as the man might seem, Tao doubted that he would torture his students with anything other than his flow of speech. "We will see about that, Professor."

She wanted to make this a challenge. She wanted to find out how far she could push the man. Not even Tao herself knew the reason behind her action because it was such an unnecessary mission that could lead to nothing but problems but if you didn't make some enemies along the way, did you even really live? It looked like a fun side activity to her and that was enough reason for her to do it.

"You may go to your dormitory now," he informed her curtly and turned around to walk out of the room. She figured he slept somewhere else (most likely somewhere in the dungeons though) since it would be weird if he constantly kept an eye on what the students were doing in their spare time.

Tao made her way up the stairs. She was really excited to see what they looked like because it was kept a secret. Nobody from one house could enter the common rooms or dormitories of another house, so she had no clue what to expect. They were even given a password so that they could enter the common rooms.