9

It isn't until three days later that I hear from Clark. In the middle of my business lunch, as the waiter lifts our starter plates, my phone buzzes in my pocket. I reach inside my blazer and take out my phone, excusing myself.
Clark: I can't stop seeing you. We do need to talk though.
My breath catches.
"Is everything alright, Bruce?"
I look up into Lucius' blank face, at his narrow eyes.
"Yes, of course. Sorry, I'll just reply to this and we can continue."
Me: Coffee?
Clark: City park, tomorrow 10am.
Me: I'll meet you at Park Castle, on the pavilion. Mine's an Americano, one sugar.
Clark: I like a Cappuccino, since you asked.
I return my phone to my pocket and turn my attention back to the gentlemen with me.
"So these lab buildings, we ran the figures, did we?"
Our consultant architect pipes up, "It would be cheaper to remodel and repurpose, but ultimately, you'll keep investing in the infrastructure. A new building with up-to-the-minute equipment avoids continual investment for at least two decades, I would say. Large upfront cost for a long-term solution."
"Tell me more."
"I have taken the liberty of drawing up some preliminary blueprints, based on the existing site plans. But I need to know what you want from the building."
"I want it to be functional, top-notch."
"Beyond that, Mr Wayne?"
"You mean aesthetics. Right, well you've toured our facilities and they're a hodge-podge of design, absolutely. Now I do want this electric engine division to be a mission statement but I don't want a building that's style over substance. No frills for the machine shop, obviously, but as safe as we can make it, with adequate staff locker and break rooms. The boffins can have offices and a few communal, open-plan lab spaces. I'll get you in touch with the head of the division, you can talk outlets, gas lines and so on."
The architect nods, extracts a notebook and scribbles down my instructions. Lucius watches him and checks his watch, tapping his foot. As the notebook is dropped back into the architect's bag, our main courses arrive. My stomach growls as my sandwich is placed before me.
"Now gents, was there anything else we needed to discuss?"
Lucius and the architect trade looks, before my right-hand says, "I think we've covered the salient points. Once we see the plans, we can allocate a temporary space and team and talk scheduling."
"Excellent. Well then, dig in."
The next morning, Clark is on the pavilion as I walk up the steps, coffee cups burning holes in my palms. He's looking northward, over the lawns and the reservoir. His shoulders are hunched, he's leaning forward over the wall in front of him. He is alone, somehow separate from his surroundings.
He starts when I clear my throat, hovering a few steps behind him.
He turns, clutching two cups of coffee. I feel his eyes on my hands. Finally, he smiles and chuckles.
"We should have clarified who was buying," I offer.
He chuckles again.
"Might have been wise."
I step up beside him and look out over the park. He turns, his shoulder nudging mine. We drink in silence for a few moments, with the surplus cups on the wall in front of us.
Clark clears his throat.
"So..."
"So, you're not running from me."
When I glance across, his cheeks are red.
"No." 
He takes a breath.
"But what would I be to you?"
"My boyfriend."
I watch him shift on his feet
"If that's okay."
He turns to face me. I glance at him, across my shoulder, find his gaze. Between our bodies, he holds his coffee with both hands.
"I would like that, Bruce."
His voice is raw when it utters my name.
"And the rest?"
"One step at a time, I think."
"Did I push you too far the other morning?"
Clark tenses, his shoulders pushing back as he straightens. He drinks to avoid the question. My coffee is going cold between my palms. I drink it absently.
Behind us, Instagram girls take pictures of the castle. They step towards the castle door, test it, then disappear inside.
Finally, Clark answers me.
"I was just taken aback. I'd never experienced that before."
"It's called edging."
His cheeks flash red.
"I liked it. It was intense, much more than I'm used to."
"Lois wasn't adventurous then?"
Clark frowns at me.
"We knew what we liked."
Once more I have the feeling that I have stumbled onto tender ground, found my foot in my mouth. I hold back and chew my bottom lip. 
Clark sets his coffee aside.
I take a sharp breath when his hand cups my chin and gently lifts my it, forcing me to meet his eyes.
"Bruce, I'm saying yes here. I'll try anything once."
He uses his other hand to turn my body to his, his fingers curling around my waist, pulling me against the hard lines of his body. My heart pounds. I feel a smile twitch on my lips.
As the knot in my stomach unfurls, I plead, "Kiss me."
He kisses me gently, catching my bottom lip, holding me tight in his arms.