CHAPTER 18

In need of help

A little over an hour later the company was ready to leave. The dwarves, the hobbit and Arya set off for the port escorted by the Master's procession. The girl had decided to accompany them to tell them goodbye: Thorin was the only one aware of her intentions and she couldn't just leave without saying anything to the others.

"You do know we're one short? Where's Bofur?"

Bilbo pointed out along the way. Hearing the question, the young woman looked around, suddenly realising the absence of her friend: that sleepyhead must have still been in the world of dreams! Arya decided she would get him later, in case he didn't reach them in time.

"If he's not here, we leave him behind."

Thorin firmly asserted.

"We'll have to, if we're to find the door before nightfall. We can risk no more delays."

Balin explained in a calmer tone. Once at the dock, the dwarves and the hobbit began to board the longboats, granted to them by the Master, amid the cheers and shouts of the crowd, who wished them the best of luck. Arya was the last in line and kept a little distance from the rest of the group, dreading the moment when she would have had to bid farewell. Just before her, Kili approached the boat to get on it, but was immediately stopped by the arm of his uncle, who forced him to stay on dry land.

"Not you. We must travel at speed, you will slow us down."

Thorin stated, as he helped load the weapons. Kili's eyes widened, his skin becoming even paler than it already was.

"What are you talking about? I'm coming with you."

He replied, cracking a grin, as if it were just a mockery.

"No."

The King sighed, pausing for a moment to look him in the eye. Kili stared back at him, astonished.

"I'm going to be there when that door's opened. When we first look upon the halls of our fathers, Thorin."

He asserted firmly.

Thorin saw the disappointment and, at the same time, the determination in his nephew's eyes as he pronounced those words, so he placed a hand on his shoulder and gave him a warm smile.

"Kili, stay here. Rest. Join us when you're healed."

He told him in a softer tone. Then, without further ado, he turned and finished loading the last weapons.

The young dwarf, deeply hurt by that order, stepped away from the boat to sit on some wooden crates a few meters back. Arya walked over to him and put an arm around his shoulders. Kili looked up sadly at her, meeting her reassuring smile. He didn't know why she was there beside him, instead of on the ship with their companions, but he was grateful.

"I'll stay with the lad. My duty lies with the wounded."

Oin said, climbing back onto the dock and heading towards Kili.

"Uncle, we grew up on tales of the mountain. Tales you told us. You cannot take that away from him!"

Fili protested, realising the situation.

"Fili."

His brother called him to tell him to drop it.

"I will carry him if I must!"

The blond continued, ignoring his comment.

"One day you will be King and you will understand. I cannot risk the fate of this quest for the sake of one dwarf. Not even my own kin."