In a perfect world(klaus Hargreeves)

A/n: Hey guys!!! My gf and I, made a harry potter tiktok @wandstheic. If you guys could check it out that would be magical!! Just know you're always welcome to stay around ❤️ now on to the story!
_________________

“It isn’t all bad, Klaus.” You wish you could cry, you feel the tears well up but nothing comes out of your eyes. 

Klaus feels as though his heart stops. His brain can’t comprehend it, it goes over the events of what just happened over and over again but he can’t make sense of the way he had tried to touch you. And the way his hand went straight through your body in a burst of blue light. 

The way Klaus is looking at you… the way his mouth is slightly agape and his outstretched hand shudders, it all just makes the reality of your death even worse.

“How? How is this not all bad?! I-I…” Klaus cuts himself off, dragging his hand over his face and rubbing his blurry eyes. The tears had sprung free from his green eyes at the shock and confusion that doesn’t seem to settle in. “Who… who did this to you?”

You shake your head, looking down and continuing until he cuts you off, “Klaus, no one-”

“I swear when I find whoever killed you, I’ll-”

“I died, Klaus.” You exclaim, giving him a sad shrug, “No one killed me, I guess my body just… gave up on me.”

“What? H-How? Why?” He stumbles over his words like never before. It’s so clear that his mind can’t comprehend any of this. Of course, it can’t. How could anyone possibly ever come to terms with something like this?

“Heart disease. Terminal Illness. Do the specifics really matter?” You ask, looking down. You can’t bear the look on his face, “Blame my family.” You try to joke but Klaus’ face remains in despair. 

“No, no.” He mumbles to himself, wrapping his arms around himself and rocking himself gently, “Not again. This can’t be happening again.” Klaus tries so hard to steady his breathing before looking up at you. You look the same. This can’t be real. “Tell me I’m dreaming, Y/N.”

You just sadly shake your head, wishing you could hold him, console him, kiss his wet, red cheeks. But you can’t. Because the universe doesn’t allow it. “Don’t cry, come on, please, please don’t cry.” You beg him, looking at the broken man.

“How long have you known?”

“Three months or so… After that big fight against Leonard, it was like I couldn’t breathe.” You admit, “I didn’t want to worry you, you were with your family. I went to the hospital alone. But today… I guess my heart just decided to give out.”

Klaus furrows his eyebrows, his eyes stinging into yours relentlessly, “You should have told me. You should have fucking told me.” 

“I’m sorry.” You frown, hoping his anger doesn’t last a lifetime. “I didn’t get up to that part. In a perfect world… I would’ve had more time.”

“This isn’t a perfect world,” Klaus mumbles, his voice quiet and raspy.

“It isn’t all bad.” You repeat yourself, your voice lowering.

“Stop saying that-”

“It’s true!” You give him a halfhearted smile, “Normal people never see their dead friends ever again. At least when someone dies, you can still be with them.”

“Really?” Klaus exclaims, taking a step towards you. He stretches his hand out, placing it upon where your cheek would be if you weren’t a spirit. You close your eyes, you squeeze them shut, not feeling a single thing. “How can I be with you?”

Knowing that you can’t lean into his touch kills you. But you keep composure. “I-”

“Look at me.” He orders, his tone filled with anger, “Y/N, look at me.” You open your eyes, feeling your chest break at the sight of your best friend. “I can’t even touch you anymore, Y/N. I can’t kiss you, I can’t-” Klaus stops himself, knowing he’s said too much. He’s never told you how he has felt about you all these years.

“Klaus…” You mutter, giving him a sad, sympathetic look.

He lets out a strangled sigh, “Go.”

“Klaus, please-”

“Please go.” He begins to break down, running his hands through his hair, “Just go, Y/N. Let me just… think about this. Come to terms with it. Leave me alone. Please.”

And so you do as he says, wandering around streets that you don’t belong to and passing by people who don’t even know you’re there.