Chapter 9

Hermione was just leaving the library after a late night study session. It hadn't been as productive as she might have hoped, due to some rather inconvenient and distracting thoughts, but on the whole she was satisfied with her overall performance.

Her already sore arms were carrying some books. Finally, she could get back to her dorm and get some well deserved rest.

As she tiptoed down one of the corridors, afraid she might bump into Peeves or Filch, she saw a figure in the distance. That's it. She's been caught. Perhaps they hadn't seen her. She could still try to get away.

Hermione spun around on her heel and prepared to sprint in the opposite direction when she felt a hand grasp her shoulder.

"Granger?"

She knew that voice. She had been hearing it taunt her for the past few weeks. It seemed a little altered though - less clear and pulled together.

"Malfoy? What are you doing here by yourself?"

He smiled lazily at her.

"I could ask the same about you," he replied slowly.

"What's wrong with you?" she snapped quickly, inspecting him suspiciously. She noticed he could barely stand. "Merlin, are you drunk, Malfoy?"

"No, Granger, I'm fresh as a daisy." He swayed slightly as he spoke.

"You look about as smashed as the Bloody Baron, Malfoy. What were you doing drinking on a school night?"

"Scolding me, Granger?" he slurred. "We threw a party for Blaise in the common room."

"And yet you're here?" she asked, raising a brow. "In a corridor near the library."

"Something wrong with that?"

"Actually Malfoy, you'd be surprised for me to tell you just how wrong that is. I can hardly begin to list the number of school rules you're breaking," Hermione replied with her arms crossed.

"Wouldn't be as fun if I weren't breaking so many rules."

Hermione glared at him.

"Although I suppose there's one benefit. Now I can taunt you about saying something embarrassing whilst under the influence."

"That's still on your mind, I see."

"Well how can it not, with you bringing it up almost everyday?" said Hermione with crossed arms.

"Sure you don't want to know what you said?

"Malfoy-"

"Nothing," he said.

"What?" she asked, visibly confused.

"You said nothing at all," he continued. "I made it up to piss you off, Granger."

Hermione's face fell completely. How could she have fallen for it so easily? She grew entirely infuriated and felt as if she might explode.

"And here I was, actually willing to help you sober up," she said with a scowl. "I shouldn't have expected much better from you, Malfoy. Now if you don't mind, I'll be returning back to my dorm. It's late and I'm tired."

She began to move and was once again stopped by a hand gripping her arm.

"What if I do mind?" he asked.

"What?" she gasped, astounded.

"What if I do mind you leaving me here in this corridor drunk and alone?"

She had now grown both exasperated and exhausted with his behaviour, managing only to respond with:

"What do you want from me?"