Chapter 13

"An invitation to dinner at Malfoy Manor tomorrow evening?" Tonks almost choked as she tore the letter out of her husband's hand. "Never in my life have I been so stunned. What could they possibly want from us?"

"I don't know, dear, I wish I could tell you."

"You're not going to accept it, right?" Hermione asked. It was more of a plea than a question.

"I'm not sure this is an invitation one can simply turn down, as much as that may be the temptation," Lupin replied. "Lucius Malfoy is the kind of man, indeed, to whom I should never dare refuse any thing, which he condescended to ask."

"But - but - Tonks, they disowned your mother-"

"No, dear, the Blacks did, not the Malfoys. And while Narcissa may be a Black, this letter has made it explicitly clear that we have been invited as acquaintances, not due to familial links or friendship."

"But you three are half bloods and I'm a muggle born. What could they want with us?"

"I'm assuming it has something to do with Harry. Or perhaps they heard that two of Draco's classmates were in the area and thus thought it improper not to greet them somehow. I'm really not sure, Hermione. These aristocrats are often hard to read."

"But-"

"Hermione, just leave it," said Harry softly. "These wizard families aren't to be trifled with."

That was one way of putting it.

Hermione decided to abandon her attempts at swaying her friends' opinions and instead collapsed on the sofa with a book in her hand.

"Oh, Hermione, I forgot to ask- do you have anything you can wear for tomorrow?" Tonks asked.

Hermione was slightly confused by the meaning of the question and replied in the affirmative, believing it to be obvious that she should have brought enough clothes with her for these two weeks.

"I meant in terms of something formal. You can't just show up to Malfoy Manor in jeans and a t-shirt."

"Why ever not? It was my understanding that the Malfoys like to have the distinction of rank preserved."

"Mione, please just try to cooperate with me. We're all rather reluctant to attend this dinner, I more than anyone, but sometimes we just have to accept and deal with difficult situations."

Hermione felt slightly disappointed in her selfish behaviour and angry at a certain blond pureblood for arousing this reaction in her. She was immediately apologetic.

"Merlin, I am so sorry. How could I let myself behave so rudely in my friends' own home? I think I'm just letting my opinions on certain matters get the best of me. I promise to be on my best behaviour from now on."

Tonks accepted her apology, although reassuring her not to feel guilty for expressing an entirely natural reaction to a stressful event that she too was rather anxious to face.

"So," began Hermione, eager to change the subject. "Where am I to find an adequate outfit?"

"I think I have something you could wear."

To Malfoy Manor, therefore, they were to go.

~

The next evening.

Malfoy Manor had just now come into sight, immersed as it was within many acres of land. Hermione could hardly deny that it was handsome, much more so than she had expected. While it was dark and brooding, it had no artificial appearance and Hermione couldn't help but finding great taste in it.