Chapter 14

More than once did Hermione, in her early morning rambles within the nearby grounds, unexpectedly meet Draco Malfoy. In attempt to prevent its ever happening again, she took care to inform him that it was a favourite walk of hers, in hope that he would take the hint and not come down this way again. But still, they met again at least two further times. They never said much when they bumped into one another, only greeted each other with cold civility. On the third, Malfoy condescended so much as to enquire on her health!

His friend, however, was far more willing to converse with Hermione. She had been reading over a letter from Luna that had just been owled to her during one of her early morning walks, when she came across Theodore Nott. The underlying tone of sadness that seeped through Luna's writing had lowered Hermione's spirits considerably and so upon seeing Theo, she quickly put away the letter and forced a smile.

"I did not know that you walked this way."

"I tend to walk once a year or so. It's important to engage in regular exercise."

Hermione smiled and Theo gestured for them to walk together.

"Now that we are friends, Theo, I was wondering if you could answer this one question that has been consuming my thoughts lately?"

"You're not my friend, Hermit."

Hermione blushed a little and said: "Alright then, acquaintance, please could you do me a  favour?"

"Only if you'll do one for me."

She nodded and proceeded with her request.

"Well, I've just received a letter from Luna and I'm really not used to seeing her in such low spirits. I can only trace her being so up to when Blaise decided - quite abruptly - to no longer even speak to her. I know he is a friend of yours. Could you possibly enlighten me on his motivations?"

Theo had not been expecting the question although he seemed rather unperturbed nonetheless.

"Oh, Malfoy and Pansy convinced him that Loony Lovegood was indifferent to him. They both congratulate themselves on having saved their friend from the inconveniences of a most imprudent match. You really ought to keep up with the Hogwarts beef. It's common knowledge by this point."

She really should have expected it. But while she despised Malfoy, she did not believe him as low as this.

"Not in Gryffindor it's not! I am astounded by his pride and caprice. To make Luna - and Blaise - suffer so! He has ruined every hope of happiness for the most affectionate, generous heart in the world. And to think I was starting to blame Blaise for it!"

"I suppose that lessens the honour of my friend's triumph considerably but it really has nothing to do with me so quite frankly I don't give a fuck."

She rolled her eyes at his response, debating whether to reproach him for it or not. She decided not to, feeling that it would have no positive outcome.

"Now, Granger, I would like to claim my reciprocal favour."

"Go for it."

Here, Theodore Nott seemed almost shy. Hermione had never seen without his usual unforgiving confidence - or cockiness - she couldn't really tell.

"You are not to tell anyone what I am about to ask you, got it?"

Hermione, slightly confused, gave him a quick nod.

"Well.. so.. there's this girl. I don't know exactly if she likes me, I think she might like someone else, one of my friends, actually. And well, the Yule Ball is coming up and I wanted to ask her."

"Is this," thought Hermione, "meant for me?" and she coloured at the idea, before asking him who this mystery girl was.

"I will literally fucking kill you if you tell anyone," he snapped defensively. "Pansy Parkinson."

Hermione's eyes went wide.

"Pansy Parkinson," she scoffed. "Good luck with that."

"What the fuck do you mean?" He retaliated.

"Well, she's obsessed with Malfoy for one. She's like in love with him or something. She'll never say yes to you."

Here Theo let out an almost wild laugh.

"Pansy in love with Malfoy? Don't make me rupture my spleen with laughter."

"Okay, now I am confused. Pansy flirts with Malfoy all the time."

"Congratulations, Albus Dumbledore, on the observation. Pansy isn't in love with Malfoy, she just hates you. Also, Pansy flirts with literally any man that will give her attention."

"Why would her flirting with Draco have anything to do with me? And earlier you said she liked one of your friends-"

"Oh for fuck's sake, Hermione, no wonder you're not in Ravenclaw. I was talking about Blaise," answering only her second query. She later would reflect that she should have asked the two questions separately.

"Blaise?"

"Yeah, why else would she want to separate him from Luna? Keep up, Hermit."

"Maybe because she hates Luna. I really doubt it has anything to do with her liking him," she said pensively. A thought then struck her.

"Hang on, one sec," Hermione said as she moved closer to him. She began to sniff him.

"Oi, what the fuck are you doing? Get off me, you freak. Are you trying to sniff me? Bloody Merlin, you Gryffindor lot must all be the products of some severe inbreeding."

"Of course! I should have known: cigarette smoke, freshly brewed black coffee and something vaguely metallic."

"You literally have ten seconds to explain yourself or I am leaving before you infect me with loser disease or something."

"Pansy's amortentia, of course. I thought she had been describing Malfoy but this makes way more sense."

A small little smile had crept onto Theo's face, despite his very obvious attempts at suppressing it.

"You really think she was describing me?"

"I am now absolutely certain of it."

"I hate your fucking guts, Hermione, but I will admit that you are rather useful when you want to be."

"Aw, thanks Theo, I think you're great too," she mocked.

"Yeah, calm, whatever, I've spent way too much time with you now, so I'll be off."

"Uh - not so fast."

"What do you want?"

"A 'thank you' would be great."

"In your dreams, Granger," he scoffed as he walked away.

"You know, you can be so sweet when you want to be," she shouted after him, to which he replied only by raising his ringed middle finger at her.