the fog of war

It was early in the morning. The mist made the flight deck slippery and the fog was low to the water. It had been three days since we arrived, no signs of the 510th, no signs of the two yf-23. I went and got my striker unit on. As I strapped the striker unit on I looked at the purple fox head with nine tails painted on to the stabilizer it had a few chips in it showing the dark crimson red.

I made my way to the launch line. I watched as a girl probably only 15 by her looks took off with a modified F-18 striker unit. She only had a pistol on her side, her striker unit had two pods where her AIM-9X Sidewinder should be. She was different, not in a bad way though. Her striker unit had three blue lines on the stabilizers.

I grabbed my M64 from the weapon rack. I then proceeded to check my flaps, then took off. In seconds of taking off I could not see the carrier. "Be safe" I said under my breath while thinking about enterprise.

It was at around noon when something appeared on my radar, then another. Then a distorted voice over the radio "You have come here to die 911th, we are the true ruler's of this world you call earth." Just then the fog underneath me glowed red. I evaded just in time to not get hit by the attack. I raised my altitude to to be higher in the sky. I got a lock on the enemy, with out hesitation I fired one of my sidewinders.

I watched as the missile ripped though the air and plunged into the fog, a few seconds later there was a explosion followed by a high pitched static sound and then nothing on the radios.

I made my way back to the enterprise. I looked up and saw the girl. Flying high above me. Her left striker unit was flickering on and off as a thick trail of black smoke was pouring out of it. She seemed to be struggling to keep her altitude.

Just then my radar picked up two fast moving objects. I watched as the two YF-23 made a attack on on the girl. Most of there attacks missed but one made it through ripping its way through her left striker unit. Doing the only thing I could do I race to catch her, after burners fully open, speed mach one. She was loosing blood, I had no time to check and see from where. After grabbing her my warning system went off. I glanced over my shoulder and saw a neurio larger than anything I had seen before. I set my alt. and raced back towards the carrier.

At two times the speed of sound I raced back. My warning system went off again. I did not dare to look over my shoulder. I was focused on getting the girl back to the carrier. Just then two red lines streamed past, then the two yf-23s ripped past me. Roughly fifty friendly pings, witchs and warlocks of the 911th, F-18s and even some mana jets from enterprise.

I landed on enterprise's flight deck. There were medical personnel ready and waiting on the flight deck. Enterprise was out there, she ran up and took the girl from my arms. I felt as if I had failed enterprise.

It was later in the day when I found out the reason why enterprise had been out on the deck waiting. The girl was enterprises oldest daughter. The younger daughter was going to be transferred her tomorrow.

After hearing that I felt my heart drop. I could not sleep that night.  Everytime I closed my eyes it just replayed in my mind. I laid in my bed starring at the bunk above me in silence.