Chapter 10

"Let's go." Regina said as she got out of the car. Christian was having a hard time letting go of the steering wheel which had become his safety net. Regina knocked on the window and motioned for him to hurry up. Finally peeling his hands off of the wheel Christian tore himself away from his seat and trailed behind Regina slowly.

"Dad we're here." Regina called out as they walked into the house and was greeted by Darrell's girlfriend Sandra.

"Are you okay, I was so worried about you and Verity." She said as she wrapped Regina up in a hug.

Is this what it feels like to have a mom? Regina thought as Sandra kissed her forehead.

"I'm fine." She said as Sandra noticed the bruise on the side of Regina's face.

"How are you fine, you're face looks like you got into a fight with a UFC fighter." She said pulling Regina into a chair.

"Christian go into the bathroom and go get the coco butter from the medicine cabinet." She instructed.

"Yes ma'am." Christian said before going to retrieve the coco butter.

"What took you so long getting here?" Darrell asked as he walked down the stairs.

"Don't you start fussing Darrell, do you not see this child's face." Sandra said as she shot him a warning glance. Regina loved how Sandra could instantly tame her father.

"There were two kinds so I brought both..." Christian stopped in mid-stride when he saw Darrell who had the look of death on his face. Christian had a full six inches over Darrell but in Christian's eyes he was as big as Shaquille O'Neil.

"Hello Captain Washington." He said with a gulp as Darrell's eyes narrowed.

"You and I need to have a talk." Darrell growled

Regina watched as Darrell grabbed Christian by the back of his shirt and dragged him to the basement.

"He's going to kill him." Sandra said as she applied the coco butter to the bruise.

"Do you think I should go down there?"

"No leave them alone, you know your father won't hurt your husband."

"He's not my husband."

"Okay fine future husband." Sandra said shaking her head making her chestnut curls bounce.

"We're not getting married; we aren't even in a relationship."

"Hmmm it doesn't seem like it to me. You're staying at his place and he's all protective of you. He's probably being cut down to shreds by your father, just to keep the peace. That sounds like a relationship to me."

"Well it's not." Regina said as she resisted looking Sandra in the eyes.

"Baby girl listen to me." Sandra said as she grabbed Regina's chin so she could look her in the eyes.

"I know you're scared of getting hurt again, but you can't let fear control your life. You both were young and mistakes were made. You both are older now, wiser, think before you speak, never let anger make you say things you will regret."

Regina stared into the older woman's warm brown eyes and wanted to take her words to heart and believe that if she gave Christian another chance that this time things would go right.

A loud thump vibrated up through the house and Regina and Sandra looked at each other before running towards the basement, to find Christian laid out on the floor holding his jaw.

"Daddy what did you do?" Regina yelled as she rushed to Christian's side, when she saw blood running from his mouth Regina was furious.

"Where do you get off hitting him like that!" she yelled.

"Do you not remember all of the pain he caused you, all those nights you stayed up crying like it was the end of the world. How does he get to walk away unscathed?" Darrell shouted back.

"So what, I broke up with him, it was my decision and I dealt with it, you have no right to interfere." Regina said as she helped Christian up.

"It's all right Gina, I deserved it."

"Of course you did but not by him." Regina said as she led him up the stairs.

"I'm fine you don't have to baby me." Christian said as he got into the car holding on to his aching jaw.

"Fine but you should put some ice on it." Regina said as she closed his door and Christian stared at her.

"What are you waiting for?" he asked as he rolled down the window.

"For you to leave,"

"Don't play with me Regina get in the car, I told you I'm not letting you out of my sights." Christian said getting ready to get out of the car as Regina walked around to the passenger side mumbling to herself.

Still refusing to tell Christian where she lived Christian took her back to his place where he collapsed onto the sofa while Regina prepared him an ice pack.

"I really am sorry I had no idea he would punch you." Regina said as she looked at him sympathetically as she pressed the cold compress to his jaw as Christian laid his head down on her lap.

"It's okay, I would be surprised if he didn't."

"What did you say to him?"

"I didn't have to say anything; I hurt his daughter when I promised that I never would." Christian said as he covered her hand with his.

"I know how hard it was for me to let you go so I can imagine how hard it was for you being the sensitive creature you are and the amazing Adonis I am." Christian said with a cocky grin and Regina pressed the ice pack against the tender flesh causing him to flinch.

"Oww that wasn't nice." He whined as he sat up.

"Suck it up loser." Regina said as she rolled her eyes. For a while they stared deeply into each other's eyes trying to get a read on what the other was feeling.

"Hi beautiful." He mumbled as her ran his thumb across her lips.

"Hi," she mumbled back as tears streamed down her face, she didn't even know why she was crying. Christian leaned into her and kissed her lips as he wiped away her tears.

"Baby please stop crying." He pleaded as he kissed her lips again.

"I can't, I have all of this pain and anger inside I don't know what to do with it."

"Let me have it, I want to take it away... Let's start over."

Regina shook her head no.

"Don't tell me no, we can start over and do things right this time." Christian said as he wiped away a fresh batch of tears.

"Let's start over." He said again peering into her watery brown eyes, his eyes burned as he held his tears back.

"Let's start over 'cause I'm never letting you go Regina I mean it." His deep southern accent tickling her ears making her weak in the knees. Regina knew that there was no other man for her, no one else could make her made in an instant and calm her down the next second. She wouldn't be able to find a man who fully understood her, who would allow her to be the ball buster she was and accept it as a part of her charm.

"Promise me, I want you to swear on Nana's grave that you won't hurt me again."

"I swear it on my Nana's grave that I'll never hurt you again." He said sincerely and for a while they sat in silence as Regina made up her mind.

"Okay."

"Okay?"

"Yes, we can start over." Regina said and she felt like a load has just been lifted off her shoulders as her tears flowed freely. Christian wrapped her in his arms and showered her face with kisses.

"I love you Regina, I promise you won't regret this," he said as they hugged each other tightly.