chapter four: the path of fate

author's note: 

i dont know about you guys but i felt like the kdrama lost a great opportunity to develop the female characters and their friendship. so here i am, once again, trying to make them justice.

i loved writing this chapter and i know yall are crazy for some lovey-dovey scenes, but i want to make them communicate first and understand their feelings. ain't nobody creating a rushed couple in here, we doin this right fellas.

have a nice reading and don't forget to hit me up on the comments section or over stan twt (@chancekai)

see the end of the chapter for more notes

xx

Ji-pyeong thought he was ready to see her, but nothing in the world could have prepared him for the impact of their first encounter.

With her, it was always a narrowed vision, everything else fading in the background. Dal-mi's presence would always take over Ji-pyeong's senses, thoughts, and emotions.

Once again, he was dazzled by her existence.

Even with messy hair, a wrinkled t-shirt, and tired eyes staring at him, Ji-pyeong felt like he had never seen someone so pretty in his life. The past four years had done her justice. Dal-mi's expression was now sharper and mature.

He wondered what had changed inside her.

Ji-pyeong couldn't believe all it took was a few minutes in her presence to make all his walls come down. And yet, there he was, exchanging looks with a confused Dal-mi in a battle of wills just like they used to do in the past.

They. Even thinking of them as something more than individuals made his heart ache.

God, he was such a loser.

xx

Dal-mi mapped his expression on her mind, hands tingling to touch him. Holding tight to her coat was the only thing she could do to stop trembling and to ground herself.

She tried to pinch her arm too, but of course, Ji-pyeong noticed, the spark in his eyes being the only sign of acknowledgement. She tried to breathe in and say something, but words weren't enough in this scenario.

Dal-mi dreamed and thought and fantasized about their reunion for long hours on sleepless nights.

On nights she would wake up with his scent on her skin and what she thought was his taste over her tongue. On nights that rapid heartbeats denounced her mental state over this guy.

She would sometimes fantasize about meeting him at a cocktail party, dressed in a killing blue dress matching his tie by coincidence. They would talk about their past, present, and future over bubbly champagnes and simply exist together for a while.

That would be enough for Dal-mi. She knew that she didn't deserve more than that anyway.

But of course, the Universe decided to play with her again. Reuniting with him in the messiest state after a hard day, with the caffeine effects leaving space for her tiredness and a persistent headache, was just perfect.

Dal-mi looked at him feeling embarrassed and wanting oh-so-much to hide. Before she could run away, the elevator doors started to close, and her body instinctively took her inside it.

One step too close to Ji-pyeong and his intoxicating scent.

Realizing she was invading his space and that he wasn't backing away too, Dal-mi decided to create some distance between them before she lost her mind. Fleeing to the other side of the elevator, Dal-mi offered a small smile before hitting the panel's garage button.