Chapter 8

Jennie waited. She stood outside Jisoo's apartment building. Jisoo wasn't answering her texts; Jennie had no idea what to expect. She couldn't stand being shut out, not with this uncertainty, not without knowing if she screwed everything up for her career. For her life. For their relationship. (That list wasn't in order of importance. Probably not.)

So she waited. She got off work, she went straight to Jisoo's apartment, and sat on a bench nearby, waiting for Jisoo's car in the parking lot, for any sign of Jisoo.

She just needed to know.

When she finally did see Jisoo pull up, the usual butterflies didn't come.

Dread. Instead Jennie felt dread.

The clearer Jisoo's face came into view, the more terrible Jennie felt. Dried tear stains down her cheeks. Her make-up looked like it had been hastily washed away. Tired. Defeated.

"What are you doing here? You're not supposed to be here," Jisoo asked when she got out of her car. She nervously looked around and grabbed Jennie's wrist, bringing her inside the building. She let go as soon as they were inside, like touching Jennie burned her.

"What happened?"

"Not here, Jennie. Ugh, you shouldn't have come here." Jisoo nervously looked outside.

"But –"

"Just stop talking. Come up with me."

She turned straight for the elevators, not waiting for Jennie as she went up. Jennie rushed in. The elevator doors closed and the two stood in silence.

The closer they got to Jisoo's apartment, the more she looked like she was on the verge of crying.

Finally getting to her place, Jennie tried to collect her thoughts as Jisoo closed the door behind her. She didn't know what to say. She had a million questions, but Jisoo didn't look like she was in the state to talk. She was pretty sure Jisoo was going to have a breakdown.

Jennie second guessed coming and was about to offer to leave, when Jisoo grabbed her face and kissed her. It was desperate and sloppy; teeth and tongue and pressure. Jisoo's hands went immediately for Jennie's coat, sliding it off her shoulders, then made quick work of the buttons on her shirt.

If she could be doused with ice water and set on fire, this was it. Physically, it felt like it always did when they kissed – it made Jennie's heart race the same way, it made her feel alive. Jisoo's lips fit perfectly against her own.

Jisoo cupped her breasts through her bra, which pulled a strangled moan out of her. The sound of Jisoo's own whimper shot straight to her centre.

But it didn't feel right. It just felt wrong.

That's when she realized she could feel tears against her face. She pulled away immediately, touching her cheeks. Jisoo was crying.

"Sweetheart, stop."

"No, Jennie," Jisoo said, pulling Jennie towards her by the hips. "This is what you've wanted for months, right?" She choked back a sob then leaned forward, trying to recapture Jennie's lips. Jennie pulled out of her grasp.

"Jisoo, no, not like this," she moved into the living room, putting the couch between them. She buttoned up her shirt. "You're upset."

"I'm going to lose my fucking job anyway, so you might as well make this worth my time, Jennie. Right? That's all I'm good for, right? That's all you're good for?"

Jennie fought her instinct to feel Jisoo's harshness. She stifled the insecurity that bloomed in her. Jisoo was out to hurt, but she tried not to let her do any damage. Jisoo was upset. More than she'd ever seen her. And she needed Jennie to be strong.