Chapter 3

Snowpaw crept stealthily towards the mouse, which was nibbling on a chestnut. She and Brightpaw are on their first hunting patrol. Gotcha! She thought and buried the mouse with other prey.

{Time skip}

Brightpaw stretched and meowed, "That was a great hunt!" Snowpaw smiled in agreement. She nudged her sister, "Let's share this mouse I caught!" Brightpaw heard her belly rumble and nodded, "Good idea! My belly thinks my throat has been torn out!" They shared the mouse together. Leafpool and Jayfeather raced out and meowed, "StarClan has sent us a prophecy!" Snowpaw stopped eating and so did Brightpaw. They asked, "What prophecy?" Jayfeather growled, "This isn't for apprentices." Leafpool rested her tail on her son's shoulder and mewed gently, "Since they are so interested, let them know. The whole Clan should know." If Jayfeather heard it, he didn't reply but only flicked his tail irratatbly. The whole CLan was gathered now, with Bramblestar's call, and Leafpool said, "The prophecy is similar to Fire alone can save our Clan, but this time it is a bit different." Jayfeather nodded and meowed, "Snow will melt in the flames, and it will rise on another way." Snowpaw looked interested. WHat had that mean? She thought. All eyes on the CLan turned on her. She ducked her head and thought, Mouse-brain! I am the only cat in the CLan except for Cloudtail is snowy white! And my prefix is Snow! She was suddenly worried and interested. Brightpaw whispered and tried to reassure her sister, "Don't worry. Come on,let's go to sleep."

Snowpaw nodded and laid down in her nest. The sweet scent of Brightpaw and her steady breathing reassured her, and it lulled her to sleep.

{Time skip}

Snowpaw carefully rubbed her jaw onthe bark of a tree. She was distracted by the prophecy. She overheard the medicine cats and Bramblestar, and his deputy, talk about it. They reckon that it must be Snowpaw. Brightpaw saw that she was distracted, and knew what was wrong when Snowpaw told her what was happenning. Snowpaw reasurred her sister that she was fine, but she wasn't convinced herself. Maybe I should just focus and concentrate on being a good apprentice to become the best warrior in ThunderClan. She thought and tried to push the thought away, but it lingered in her mind as if a ShadowClan cat tresspassed on their territory and left their scent the forest floor.

Sorrelstripe nudged Snowpaw. She looked at her intently, worry showing in her gaze, and asked, "Wha is wrong? You were distracted since last night's prophecy!" Snowpaw shrank beneath her pelt and deperately shook her head and mewed, "No Sorrelstripe, I'm fine." Sorrelstripe nodded unconvincingly. Snowpaw just wanted an excuse to get away adn have time to think. She mewed shakily, "I don't feel well." Sorrelstripe meowed, "What's wrong? I will let you take the day off." Snowpaw mewed, "Something disagreed with me, that's all, thank you Sorrelstripe." Sorrelstripe nodded, "Off you go then." Snowpaw headed back to camp to go to Jayfeather and Alderheart. She wasn't lying. Fear wormed in her belly and worry spiked her mind. She felt like she had a bunch of maggots rolling in her belly. She felt sick adn she had a bellyache. She asked Alderheart, "Alderheart, I have a bellyache." Alderheart opened his mouth to speak but Jayfeather cut him off, "Alderheart, give her some chervil root and tell her to go to teh dirtplace and come back to us." Snowpaw ate the chervil adn went to the dirtplace. She thought, what if Bluestar was right? What if I can never become a warrior? She shook her head. I would never become a good warrior now if I keep having these doubts. Still, it hung onto her, suddenly scared, she asked herself, What if... the dream adn the prophecy was real?