Chapter 4

Snowpaw's nose twitched. She smelt something burning. She smelt smoke. I must be dreaming. She thought. She opened one eye and saw something orange and flickering. She bounded up and saw the worst. "Fire! There is a fire!" She yowled, her voice shill with fear. All cats jumped up, and the deputy and the leader–Squirrelflight and Bramblestar, also went out. Squirrelflight yowled, "Everyone evacuate! Strong warriors, go and carry the elders!" The fittest warriors–Lionblaze, Fernsong, Stemleaf and Snaptooth went to carry the elders. Most of the cats went out of camp. Only Graystripe was grumbling about leaving his unfinished mouse behind. Brackenfur meowed, "Graystripe! There's no time to worry about prey!" Graystripe opened his mouth to shoot back a retort but Snowpaw mewed, "Graystripe! I will get your mouse!" She ducked the falling branches and the fire. She got the mouse but the fire blocked the entrance! She had nowhere to go and she panicked. Suddenly, the fire seemed to go into her direction, which is the only safe place. She thought an idea. I can jump over the at the entrance and run to there with the branches! She thought. She jumped and at the second last branch, the distance was a bit long. She jumped but as she got to the next branch, her paws slipped under her. She deperately dug her claws in the branch but her paws already slipped. She thought, No! But she was in the fire already. She choked at the smoke and screamed in terror as the fire touched her leg. She felt camp spinning around her and distant voices calling her, with one last flail of her paws, she fell into the fire. Snowpaw fell, unconscious.