25

A spray of sand kicked up under your feet as you dove for the ball, hitting back up and over the net, to where Alex and Noah stood.

You had decided to spend another day by the ocean at dinner last night - a unanimous decision around the table as you had eaten the seafood Alex had picked out for the table. As the resident Spanish speaker, it was his job to pick, and you were lucky he had great taste.

The entire meal, Karl had kept one hand laid on your thigh, gently running over the skin there. When you had gotten back to the room, you had tugged him into your bedroom and tumbled into the sheets together. You had pressed kisses to his skin as he whispered sweet nothings to you for hours. After it all, he hadn't bothered to go back to his own room.

It was everything you could have wanted and more.

Now, you were playing volleyball against Alex and Noah. Unfortunately, they were winning. Was it completely fair, since Noah had played volleyball in high school? No. But it didn't really matter.

Noah leaped up and spiked the ball down into the sand, earning another point for them.

"That's fifteen to seven." Karl sighed, picking up the ball and looking to you. "We're getting our asses beat."

"We can do eight points." You said, plucking the ball from his hands so that you could serve. "We just have to stay positive."

You tossed and ball up and hit it over, directly into Alex's waiting hands.

The volley went back and forth for a while before Noah scored again, high-fiving Alex victoriously. You tsked but picked up the ball anyway, tossing it to Karl for his turn. "Get is a point please."

"What was that about staying positive?" Karl teased, serving the ball.

The game lasted for a few more minutes, and you and Karl tried your best to come back, but the effort was futile. Noah played with a practiced ease, and Alex's hand eye coordination was not something to be trifled with. They took the match easily.

"Good game." Alex said, ducking under the net. "Want to switch up the teams and go again? We could do me and Karl versus Y/N and Noah?"

"Oooh, yeah, want to be on my team Y/N?" Noah said, joining you on this side of the net. "We could totally kick ass."

You were about to reply when Karl yawned, slinging an arm around your shoulders. "I'm actually kind of tired." He said. "Was kind of thinking about taking a nap."

Noah's eyes followed Karl's arm that was draped over you. "Sure." She said knowingly, turning to Alex. "Come swim with me?"

"Race you." Alex grinned, kicking up sand as he sprinted for the ocean. Noah laughed, following quickly, tackling Alex into the waves.

You looked up to Karl, who still had an arm draped over you. He turned you both, walking towards the umbrella where you had left all your bags and things.

"So." You said teasingly. "Are you actually tired or did you just want to get me alone?"

Karl hummed, not saying anything, but his eyes spoke enough.

When you got to the umbrella, his arm dropped from your shoulder and he sprawled out on one of the towels, stretching out in the sun. He looked at you expectantly, and you sat down beside him, resting your head on his chest.

You laid there in silence for a moment, feeling the warmth of the sun on your skin, listening to the roll of the waves, tasting the salt in the air, and feeling Karl's gentle breath under you, the rise and fall of his chest as his lungs worked.

Eventually, he broke the silence. "I'm really glad you decided to write your number on that receipt."

You tilted your head back to look at him. "Yeah?"

"Yeah." He said softly, just gazing into your eyes. His lips stretched into a soft smile as he tilted his head towards yours.

Your eyes fluttered shut as you pressed your lips together, Karl's hand finding it's way to your ribs, brushing over the skin there. The kiss was slow and lazy, a gentle back and forth in steady rhythm.

Karl pulled back only to press forward again, his tongue slipping into your mouth. You let him, relaxing into the easy affection and the sunlight.

This time when he pulled back, he just looked at you, a satisfied smile on his lips. "Has anyone ever told you that you're a really good kisser?"

"Once or twice." You said. "I could say the same for you though."

Karl smiled. "I'm flattered."

You hummed, pressing closer. One of his hands stroked over your back as you lay, soaking up the warmth of your skin.

"I wish we could stay here forever." You sighed.

"Me too." Karl said. "Unfortunately, there is a real world."

You frowned. "Yeah."

There was a pause then, as a cool breeze wafted over you, smelling like the ocean. The candles back home didn't do it justice - the artificial salt didn't compare to this.

"You know, there is one thing that'll be good about going home." Karl said.

"What's that?" You asked, tilting your head to look him in the eye.

His hand squeezed your hip gently. "I get to take you on real dates. And you can hang out at my apartment. We can just, do stuff together."

You laughed, pressing back to him. "You're such a domestic sap."

"What?" Karl pouted. "You don't want to go grocery shopping with me? You don't want to sing High School Musical in my car?"

You laughed again. "Of course I do. But that's not what people usually think of when they think of things they would like to do with their partner."

"Well, that's what I want." Karl said proudly, hugging you right. "And it's going to be great."

You hummed in agreement, pressing a kiss to his jaw.