Chapter 6.

Hospital.

"Doctor, what do you want to do?"

"Uh, okay, scalpel."

I was able to hear two doctors arguing, over my open body, but the thing they were arguing over was unknown at this precise moment. Pain cascaded throughout my body, as if it was being pumped at 100mph through my veins. Shockwaves sent signals, straight to the source of the pain. My lower right abdomen. I tried to sit up, but something was stopping me. My eyes fluttered open, grabbing the attention of the anaesthesiologist.

"Doctors! She waking up. The dosage was too light. Hold on."

Although I couldn't react to the pain, it was most definitely there. Surgery wasn't fun. I tried to talk but all that could escape my mouth was groans of pain. The arguing finally stopped, but my pain was never-ending.

I was finally put back under, but something was wrong. It was a gut feeling, and not just the feeling of a bullet in my gut. I was asleep but awake at the same time. I could hear everything, see everything, smell everything, the only thing compromised was my touch. The doctors were handed a scalpel, cutting into my stomach. Excruciating pain shocked my body...

Emily sat up, screaming in pain and clutching her side. It shocked JJ, who had been sitting by her side since she was out of surgery. "Em, lie back down. Hey, it's okay. You're okay. You got shot but you're going to be okay." JJ said in her most calming tone possible. Seconds before however, she was scared that her love wouldn't wake up. "Did you have a nightmare?" JJ stood up, scooting onto the side of Emily's hospital bed and pulled her into a hug. Not too tight in case it hurt her, but enough to try and stop her shaking.

"I was awake during surgery, I saw everything." Emily stated, sounding confused and shocked at her dream. "It was just a dream but the- the pain was so real." She sat there in JJ's embrace, conciliating herself back down to her normal heart rate. JJ didn't say anything, she just sat there and stroked the older agent's soft hair. "Have you been to the hotel and slept?" Emily asked, pulling away from the warmth of her girlfriend, reluctantly.

"I was waiting for you to wake up, but I fell asleep a few times in the chair." She yawned, her body finally realising how tired she truly was.

"How long was I out for?"

"Three days, Emily." JJ said sympathetically, as she watched Emily's face drop, unsure how to act. "We didn't know if you would wake up, it wasn't likely. That dream might have saved your life."

"You've been here for three days, with less than enough sleep, where's the rest of the team?"

"They flew home two nights ago, paperwork." Emily tighten her geip around JJ's hand, making sure it wasn't a dream and that she was actually alive. "You have to realise, no one expected you to wake up this soon... We were going to have you flown home if it came down to it." The last part made JJ sick to her stomach, thinking about her girlfriend being 'shipped' home in a hospital bed, like some sort of package. "I chose to stay, I couldn't dare leave you alone." Emily stayed quiet and reactionless the entire time JJ was explaining the last three days she had missed, but the feeling of knowing her girlfriend was staying in a different state, for no matter how long it took for her to wake up gave her a feeling of security.

"I love you." Emily replied, quietly and in a raspy voice, to the woman's rambles.

"I love you too."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Over the course of the next 12 hours, a lot happened. Emily was told she would be discharged the following day. The team finished their paperwork for the last case, and due to Emily's injury, there was a lot, and then they flew out to see her. Back to Austin, Texas. Emily and JJ savoured the moments they had before they had to go back to being 'friends'. The team are still suspicious about why they seemed as if they were arguing but bringing it up wasn't on their agendas. There was a new agent to join the team in the field as soon as they got back, not only to replace Gideon but also help out Hotch. He was under too much pressure running the BAU alone. He needed someone. SSA David Rossi was that someone.