Chapter 8.

(TW - This chapter is important but the development of an eating disorder does play out, and it will throughout a few later chapters. I will obviously put trigger warnings for all chapters necessary.)

Never-ending loop.

Hot sweats permeated throughout the bed, creating an uncomfortable sleep. It was only noticed by JJ, for the heat was radiating off of Emily as if she was a sauna. Subconsciously, Emily knew and it could be told by the fidgets, sounds and movements she let out, eventually waking JJ up after a strong pain came from a hard kick.

"Em, Em, wake up." JJ said, feeling the brunette's forehead for a temperature, and as she suspected, she was burning up. She had to, in the end, shake her girlfriend awake. It only took at most 15 seconds but sweat droplets followed down JJ's hands to her arms.

"What's- What's going on?" Emily said, shooting awake. "Why is it so cold in here?" She added whilst shivering and bringing the covers up closer to her chest.

"Emily, you're boiling, you've got a fever."

"No, n-no, it's freezing in h-here Jayje." She said, still shivering. "Grab t-the therm-mometre." JJ did so, standing up and walking to the dark bathroom, over to the medicine cabinet and grabbing the thermometer and back on to the bed in silence.

JJ checked her girlfriend's temperature over three times, each reading worse every time. First, 103.1°F then 103.8°F lastly 104.1°F which made the pair worry. Emily swore she felt cold but with a temperature that high, there was not an argument to be had. JJ checked the time, 8:04 am, they barely had enough sleep but with this job, they were used to it. She got up and walked into the bathroom, this time turning on the light and started to get ready. As she put her toothbrush under the tap, she heard a loud bang coming from the bedroom.

"Em? Em, are you okay?" After no response, she opened the door to find the room looking empty, that was until she walked further forward, and witnessed her girlfriend lying limp on the hardwood floors. "Emily, oh my God." She was so in shock she dropped her toothbrush and ran, kneeling down next to the still body, trying to wake her up. After Emily wouldn't wake back up, she felt her pulse, Slow, too slow. She held her finger there until she went to grab her phone in a panic. JJ tore apart the entire bed sheets just to see it in between Emily's and her pillows. She dialled 911, telling them about what happened prior in Texas, and her weakening pulse all whilst in silent tears. The 911 call talker sent an ambulance and told JJ to stay on the line just in case something happens. It made her fear skyrocket. If what happens? She loses her pulse? She dies on her floor? The paramedics don't make it in time?

Emily's pulse continued to weaken by the minute and her breathing slowed. JJ was trying to prepare for the worst to happen. Having to perform CPR on her girlfriend was not how she envisioned them spending their one month, but then Emily might needing CPR felt like, to JJ, her fault so hey-ho.

The paramedics arrived, walking into the apartment with a stretcher and machines JJ was unaware of. Once they hooked her up to different wires, spreading across her chest, back and hand, they looked to JJ with sympathetic eyes, motioning her to follow them out to the ambulance. She just nodded and did so, still in her FBI hoodie and sweats, and jumped into the back of the vehicle.

The ride over felt like a rollercoaster. Everytime JJ thought they were close to the hospital, they took a different direction. Of course it was in the best interest of Emily but the ride felt as if they were longing out what seemed like her death. It was more nerve-racking than when Emily got shot. JJ had to drive with Derek, Hotch and Reid in that situation, because it was too high risk for her to be in the ambulance.