Chapter 13: Bond With Me.

"Then, I caught Kei passed out on Yamaguchi-kun's shoulder."

"Pfft, no way."

"Yes way! Right there on the couch when I walked through the door!"

      Tanaka couldn't hold back his laughter, the booming sound ringing my ears causing me to laugh along. Today was the most fun I've had in a while. After the arcade, Tanaka took me to get some nikumen. At first I felt bad for him spending his money on me when he barely knew me, but he insisted, telling me that this was our day to get to know each other as friends, so he should leave a good impression. 

      After he calmed down and wiped away the stray tears, Tanaka looked at the sky, then at his phone. "Ah, it's getting late, let me walk you home!" He offered with a smile. I nodded happily, definitely not one to walk home in the evening alone. However, as we started walking, I couldn't help the feeling of eyes burning into the back of my skull. Abruptly, I stopped and turned around, finding that nobody was there. 

     "What's wrong?" Tanaka asked. My eyes kept searching for something, but still found nothing. I must be imagining things. "Nothing, just thought I heard something." I fibbed. Tanaka nodded, and we kept walking. But the feeling was there again, itching, burning, gut-wrenching. 

     I never liked it when I had unwanted eyes on me, it made me feel small, but every time I looked over my shoulder, nothing was there. As the sun kept setting and the sky got darker, I subconsciously walked closer to Tanaka, recognizing him as a light in the dark. I couldn't help it, it was a developed habit to stick to something that made me feel secure whenever I didn't.

"Y/n-chan are you okay?" Tanaka asks

"Y-yeah, I'm fine. Why do you ask Tanaka-kun?"

"You're sticking extra close to me."

"Ah, I just don't like the dark..."

"Oh, I see, don't worry. I'll protect you from anything!" Tanaka proudly boasted, causing me to chuckle. 

      I was glad that I had such a good time today. Tanaka never mentioned Nishinoya which I appreciated, I'm sure that if I explained it to him, he would find me absolutely ridiculous, which is something I didn't want.

     "I had fun today, thank you for getting me out the house." Tanaka said, nudging my shoulder lightly. "No problem, thank you for making today a fun day." I smiled, the fact that today wasn't a complete disaster made me feel like life could get better, and with a friend like Tanaka, it could be fun too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Thanks again Tanaka-kun!"

"No problem! Text me if you ever want to hang out again, or just chat."

"Will do, get home safe, okay?" 

     "No need to worry about me! These muscles can turn giants into dust!" Tanaka teased, flexing his oh so huge muscles. I chuckled, waving him goodbye before I closed the door. "ただいまー!" I yelled, smiling when I heard Kaa-san and Kei greet me back with a "おかえり!" Then I heard the patter of feet running down the stairs as I was engulfed in a warm hug.

     "Y/n! How was your day? Did you have fun?" Kaa-san asked me, giving me a smile so bright that I swore I would go blind. Her warmth was so unlike the coldness I received from my biological parents, who wouldn't bat an eye if I didn't come home or not. Frankly, they would probably rejoice. They made it clear I wasn't wanted anyway.

     "Y/n? What's wrong, honey? Why are you crying?" Kaa-san's face feel as she used her thumb to wipe away the stray tear that fell from my eye. I didn't even realize I was crying until she pointed it out. "I'm okay Kaa-san," I mumbled, "Just... thank you for being so... warm." She didn't say anything back, but she understood what I meant. Silently, she softly took me into her arms, petting my head, giving me the loving touch I was so starved for.