All Too Well

This is a death shot... I'm sorry in advance. I named this shot after the song that inspired it, All Too Well, by Taylor Swift. I have no clue how long one shots should be. Enjoy!

-satire_of_saturn

·><·><·><·><·><·><·><·><·><·><·><·

Barry blinked. 9 months. So much can change in such a short time. A young man can get super speed. A woman can have a child. Someone's life can crumble. It had been 9 months since his wife, Caitlin Allen died, and nothing had been the same since.

Barry Allen had lost a lot of people in his life, but loosing Cait was the worst. He'd lost friends, parents, even enemies. But his wife? His children's mother? He hadn't been able to feel happy since it happened.

The day of her funeral Barry couldn't feel. He didn't know how to be strong for the twins. He was numb as he put on a suit. He couldn't breathe as he dressed the girls in black.

The funeral was for Caitlin and Frost, and both of them had been Barry's world. Everyone was there, family, friends. Barry didn't remember speaking, or everyone's condolences. All he remembered was an overwhelming sense of grief, and his daughters' tears.

"Dad?" Nora's voice snapped him out of his trance. "School starts soon."

"Right. Uh... Nora, can you get your sister, and get into the car?" Barry asked as he tossed his cold coffee in the sink.

The girl nodded and left the room. Nora was the best at going on. Barry couldn't grapple with the fact that it was real. And Ronnie... Ronnie barely smiled, or talked at all since it happened.

Barry took a deep breath and grabbed the keys and went out to the car.

"We're ready, Dad." Nora announced as the twins walked out of the house. Barry turned around and saw, Caitlin? No, Ronnie.

Ronnie always resembled Cait, while Nora looked like Barry. But Ronnie looked so similar today because of the scarf. Barry remembered Caitlin wore it on their first date. They talked over Jitters coffee, then walked in Central City Park. It was a chilly day, and Barry got cold. Caitlin just chuckled, and wrapped Barry in her scarf. He never gave it back, at first because he forgot, then because it smelled like Caitlin.

"Dad? Are you ok?" Nora frowned as her dad stood there with glassy eyes.

Without saying a word, Barry walked over and hugged both of his girls tightly. He pulled away at last, holding back tears. Nora smiled softly, and got in the car.

"You look like your mom." Barry whispered to Ronnie before she got in the car.

There. Finally, for the first time in months, Ronnie Allen smiled. She got in the car with the happy look on her face.

After Barry dropped the girls off, he sat in the car and let the tears run down his face. He saw Cait, just for a moment, before she flickered away. The scarf reminded Barry not only of his wife, but of hope, innocence and happiness. It brought back a million memories with a single glance. And Barry knew each one like he knew his name.

Barry remembered that scarf, her smile, and the way she bit her lower lip. He remembered falling in love with Cait, and Frost. He remembered how happy they were when the twins were born, and how much it hurt when she died. He remembered it all too well.