Chapter 37: Wyatt Takes The Citadel, Now With Friends!

Summary:

The remaining squad have followed Saren onto the Citadel, coming crashing down in the Presidium out of the Mass Relay 'statue' that is not a statue at all... Waking up, the crew quickly move to follow Saren, who has gone toward the Council Chambers. However, Sovereign and the Geth do what they can to hinder the progress of the gang... Will they succeed in stopping the Reapers?

Chapter 37:

I opened my eyes, my view hazy... I was upside down? Oh yeah... Now I remember... I saw my helmet rolling around on the roof of the Mako... Well, it was now the floor technically. I unbuckled myself, which I regretted a moment later as my head hit the metal of the Mako's interior. The rest of my body fell and I groaned, looking around...

I heard more groaning... "Mommy? Is that you?" Tali spoke dazed out her mind. I got my knife and cut her down, catching her in my arms bridal style. "My knight in shining armour!" she exclaimed, pressing into me. I lay down with her against me and kicked up at the floor hatch. It flew off and I stepped up onto the bottom of the Mako and jumped down with Tali, setting her down gently. "Aren't you supposed to kiss the gir- ughh... What happened?" she asked as she regained lucidity.

I looked up as my helmet was thrown out to me and I caught it. I put it on my belt and helped Tali to her feet. "No worries, my Princess. I'll keep you safe." I winked at her.

She grimaced at that. "Oh keelah, please forget you ever heard that..." she begged me as I saw Shepard carrying Liara down as well.

She seemed more lucid than Tali was. "It appears we both have our heroes." she chuckled.

Garrus then put his hands either side of the hatch and hoisted himself out. "Why don't I get a damsel to rescue?" he murmured to himself.

I chuckled and patted his arm then. "One day, pal. One day." Nodding, I retrieved my rifle and looked around. "Well... That's not a statue then." I sighed. I saw Shepard looking at the Mako sadly. "We'll buy you a new one, lad." I put my hand on his shoulder and nodded.

We walked over toward Avina, when some... Oh, those are Dragon's Teeth? Righto. Some husks began to come to life, but Tali quickly got her shotgun and blew them away.

We then properly approached Avina. "The Presidium is experiencing severe system malfunctions across the entire level. All non-emergency personnel must evacuate immediately." she stated.

I scratched the back of my head, some pain following. Not good. "Status report." I requested.

She, probably due to my Spectre status, answered. "We have lost all primary power to the level. Environmental controls are not responding. Class three fires are burning in sectors 2, 3, 6 and 7. Civilian casualties are high." she informed us. "I am also detecting numerous unauthorised synthetic lifeforms throughout the station. They are believed to be hostile. Please approach with caution." she further informed us.

Shepard quickly needed more answers. "What happened to the Council?" he asked her.

"In accordance with standard emergency procedures, the Council has been evacuated to the Destiny Ascension." Avina told us.

I decided to ask for more information. "Captain Anderson and Ambassador Udina?" I asked her.

She shook her head. Or tried to while malfunctioning. "I have no information on the status of specific individuals. Once the current crisis has been resolved, a complete accounting of casualties and survivors will begin." she informed us.

I sighed then as Shepard asked the ultimate question. "Where's Saren?" he asked her.

"Former Spectre Agent Saren Arterius is nearing the vicinity of the Council Chamber." she told us. "A warrant has been issued for his arrest, though Citadel Security is unable to respond at this time." she stated then.