XXI

You woke up. Wolfie was snoring and still deeply asleep. You felt tired but didn't feel like going back to sleep. You got up slowly, making sure to not wake up Wolfie. You grabbed your phone and slowly walked out. You closed the door behind you and took a deep breath. You were glad you hadn't awoken your lover. You walked down the hallway and down the stairs. You figured you might check your phone and eat something. You stepped into the kitchen and looked around. You got out the toaster, bread and some white honey, a simple meal, but it tasted good and it filled you up. You toasted the bread and spread the warm honey on it. You then proceeded to sit down and start to check your phone.

It was currently 3 am and everything was silent in the house, and all of Independence was stagnant. You looked down at your phone icon and noticed you had 6 missed calls. You were a bit shocked. Who in the world was calling you in the middle of the dark night. It was Viola, the last time she called you was thirty minutes ago and had been repeatedly calling you for nearly three hours. You were worried, so you dialed up her number and waited.

"Y/N Y/N! Thank God you picked up! I have some terrible news that you need to hear now! Get over to your house as fast as you can! Don't ask any questions, just come over! Get here as fast as you can! There's no time to wait!" Viola said, then she suddenly hung up before you could say anything. You felt scared and nervous, Viola rarely got in a tone of panic, but she seemed to be freaking out, and it had to deal with your home, you wondered what that had to deal with it.

You were scared though and debated if you should tell Wolfie. On one hand maybe he'd want to know but you didn't want to wake him up. You decided to tell him and practically ran up the stairs to him. You gently opened the door and saw him sleeping. He was a mess but was so peaceful, you felt bad about having to wake him up. You walked over and gently shook him. He rustled a bit and his eyes opened up to you. He sat up and looked confused.

"Y/N, my love, what's going on? Is something wrong?" Wolfie asked, still half asleep and sounding somewhat drunk. You tried your best to explain the situation.

"Viola called me and I need to go back to my house, right now. She told me it was an emergency. Do you want to come with me?" You asked, your voice and blood pressure both rising as you spoke. Wolfie looked at you with wide eyes, as if the world was about to end.

"Yes dear. I'll come with you. Get on your shoes and I'll drive you to your house." Wolfie said, getting up. You then grabbed your jacket and put on your socks and shoes. You grabbed your phone and purse and turned around. Wolfie was nearly ready, trying to find his phone. He found it and looked at you.

"Y/N, are you ready?" Wolfie asked and you nodded. You stepped out of the room with him and started down the stairs. You stepped outside into the cold Missouri air. Wolfie came down beside you and started up the car. You felt nervous and sick to your stomach. Your worst thought was that it dealt with your mother, she had a heart condition that wasn't getting better. You hoped in and buckled up as Wolfie started to drive off. He went faster than the speed limit, but you didn't care at this point, you just wanted to get home and see Viola. You knew things would get better when you talked with Viola. He stopped at a red light.

"Darn it." Wolfie said, sounding very serious, a tone you'd never heard from him. It scared you a bit, you'd never really seen Wolfie angry. You'd heard him get irritated at his orestha, but not in the way he spoke like that. The light finally turned green and Wolfie started off the car again. Most of the car ride was silent, which didn't help with your anxiety at all. You didn't know what was going on and that scared you the most. Like most people, or at least the ones you knew, were scared of the unknown, for it was human nature.

You and Wolfie finally reached the house and the first thing you noticed was an ambulance with it's flashing red lights going off in the driveway. Your breath hitched and your heart plummeted. An ambulance was rarely ever a good sign. Wolfie was still silent, his eyes still focused on the road. He pulled in and you jumped out the second the car stopped. Your heart kept seeming to drop the more your eyes saw. It was still very dark out and it wasn't helping anything. You saw Viola's car but didn't see her. You ran up to the front door and banged as fast and as loud as you could. You wanted to scream, even though you didn't know what was going on. Wolfie came up behind you, keeping his distance though. He knew you needed some space at the moment. Viola then opened the door. Her eyes were wide and she looked in between a state of pity and sadness. You stepped into your house, and it looked normal, but it didn't feel normal. Wolfie came in behind you, closing the door. He was saying a silent prayer to God that everything was alright. He didn't want to see his lover sad or angry.