Chapter 5

Monday morning came with the sun shining bright on Monica.  She was excited about her interview and luckily had a modest black dress and some ballerina flats that she could wear.

Chris was still sleeping since it was 8 am and he had fun just like everyone else from the night before.  Dora was in the kitchen, an early riser, from her days working for the city.

"Good morning, honey, there is coffee ready on the pot.  I'm making you a bagel and packing a yogurt so you can have a light, healthy breakfast.  I know how nerve racking interviews can be" Dora said flittering around the kitchen.

"Thank you so much, I'm really not used to all this treatment" Monica said in her shy way.

"Lord, I already know Terry wasn't very maternal, but did the child ever cook for you" Dora asked dejected.

"Sometimes, when she was home from staying out on the weekend.  She wasn't a bad mom, she always made sure I had food and the bills stayed paid" she said shrugging her shoulders.

Truth be told, Terry was more of a roommate than a parent, and it just made Monica more secluded, since she never really had anyone at home to talk to.

"Well, as her mother, I didn't raise her like that.  We had love and attention in this house.  Probably too much attention since I was always in her business.  That didn't stop her from doing what she wanted to do" Dora said sadly.

"But enough about the sad past.  You have an interview and I'm sure it's going to be great, cause your great.  I ordered an Uber for you and it will be here soon" she said excitedly.

"I've never taken a Uber" Monica said chuckling.  Even though they had them in Atlanta, she wasn't the type to try new things.  Cabs and busses worked just fine.  New York was definitely changing her way of living.

"Its fine the address is already inputed so all you have to do is get in, give them my name and they'll take you to Oliver's office.  On the way back just call me and I'll send you another for the ride back" Dora said.

"I just really appreciate everything you've done for me" Monica said getting up to hug her grandma.

"You gonna make me cry girl, I've done enough of that" Dora said shooing Monica to the door.  "Go to that interview and you show them how the Brown women take charge!"

Monica laughed as she got in the uber, headed to her interview.
**************************************
While in the Uber, Monica continued to fret over her interview.   She had looked over possible questions that could be asked of her and most of them seemed easy enough.  However, again, Monica wasn't one to be optimistic.   Hopefully the day wouldn't end in disaster.

Once at the law offices, Monica made her way inside and was able to find her way to the 6th floor where Oliver had his practice.

At the front desk was a handsome brown skinned man with a tight afro and light colored eyes as the receptionist.  Monica walked over and introduced herself.

"Um, Hello, my name is Monica Brown.  I'm here to interview with Mr. Twist" she said shyly. 

Monica felt like she sounded stupid, she had a thick southern accent and it only got thicker when she was nervous.

Jason, Nate's husband and ex PA, out of the kindness of his heart was receptionist for the day since PA's normally doubled as receptionists.  Luckily for him he found one who liked what he liked, men.

While neither one hid their sexuality,  you wouldn't know either of them were gay unless they told you.  It wasn't until they ran into one another one night at one of the local gay bars, and it was love at first apple martini.