Jules

(Trigger Warning: This chapter will briefly mention Suicide & will have mentioning of Selfharm, Transphobia and Homophobia, I do not agree with the values of certain characters, I simply write them to spread awareness and deepen the reality of the story.) 

Me: Not trying to be a pain, but can you wear something modest?

Jules: What are you calling me a sl*t? 

Me: NO not at all

Jules: I'm just messing with you, I'll wear something nice.

Me: Thank you. And Remember I fell asleep at your house.

Jules: Yup.

"Papa, Jules and her dad are here!" I yelled up the stairs. Papa appeared behind me with a stern look on his face. 

"Hello thank you for coming," Papa said.

"Hi nice to meet you, I'm David," Jules' Dad spoke. 

"Nice to meet you," Papa replied, not saying what his name was. People always got scared and didn't know what to call him.

"Hello Mr. Joseph, it's very nice to meet you, I'm Jules," Jules said with a smile. 

"Hello," He said, seeming to judge her. She stood there awkwardly. She wore medium blue jeggings and a light yellow sweater. Her makeup was toned down, yellow eyeshadow with a line of white, and a little blue below her lower lash line. David redirected my dad and they began chatting, and I walked off to side with Jules.    

"Does your dad know I'm trans?" Jules asked with a concerned look.

"I didn't spell it out for him no," I replied.

"Diana he just gave me the look," Jules said.

"What look?" I asked.

"The disgusted by my existence look!" She exclaimed in a hushed tone.

"Don't worry about it he's always judgey," I said. Nalani and Lovalie came downstairs and greeted Jules.

"Your makeup is really pretty," Nalani said staring up at Jules. 

"Thank you," Jules send leaning down to be closer to her height.

"Do you like barbies?" Nalani asked.

"Leave Diana and her friend alone Nalani," Lovalie said harshly trying to pull her away.

"No it's okay, I like barbies," Jules replied. Nalani took a barbie out from behind her back and held it up to Jules.

"You kind of look like a barbie," Nalani said.

"Nalani!" Lovalie scolded her. 

"Thanks," Jules said with a smile. Nalani handed Jules the barbie, and then Lovalie pulled her away.

"How old is she?" She asked.

"Four," I replied.

"Lovalie is a bit hard on her huh?" Jules asked.

"Yeah, it's not her fault what happened," I replied.

"What are you talking about?" She questioned.

"Our mom got really really bad postpartum depression after having Nahnah, worse than she ever had with us. Two weeks after having her she took a bunch of my brother Manny's stash and did all of them. She didn't know what they were so it was clear she wanted to die," I explained.

"Jesus Diana, I'm so sorry," Jules said looking at me.

"Thank you, I think Lovalie blames Nahnah. Nalani didn't even get a chance to really meet Mama, so she's very close to me. After my mom died my dad turned Manny in to the police, I think he blames him the most, so that's why we don't talk about Mama or Manny," I said.