Skin

(Trigger Warning: Sexual Harrassment/Sexual Assault, mentions of violence, read at your own risk.) 

"What's wrong Diedie?" Nahnah asked.

"Nothing bunny," I replied as Nahnah stared at me. Her eyes always showed me if she knew I was lying. She was too smart for her own good. I was staring in the mirror as she came over and hugged my waist.

"You look pretty Diedie," Nahnah said. 

"Thanks," I whispered. I stared at myself in the mirror, I put something on that he couldn't complain about, but I didn't feel completely dehumanized. I wore a burgundy long sleeve under a short plaid dress, with thigh high boots. I did a simple winged eyeliner, and some burgundy lipstick. I felt like a 50s housewife. The dress material clung to my hips, and I felt like I was walking hour glass that would just amuse my predator. I tried to shake off the feeling of discomfort, and headed out. I avoided my dad by going out and scootching off of my roof which was only 10 feet up. 

I walked down the street until I came to the black pick up truck,  I took a deep breath, here we go.

"You're late," Nate said, I looked at my phone at saw it was 8:02.

"Two minutes," I said.

"Late," He repeated.

"I know," I replied. I stared straight forward, not looking at him. He started the car and we were on our way, to somewhere. Hell he could just be bringing me somewhere to murder me, I wouldn't be that surprised. And no one would know who did it. Diana how did you get yourself here?

"Where are we going?" I asked. 

"Bianachi's" He said. That was the really expensive Italian place the town over from us. 

We sat there in silence, for most of the ride, I tried not to look at him. I sensed his eyes shift to me in the mirror a few times.

"I'm not a monster you know?" He said. I didn't respond.

"Respond when I talk to you Diana," He said.

"You choked Rue, and Maddy, and you hurt me," I muttered.

"I didn't wanna do that," He replied with some remorse.

"Well, you did do it," I repeated.

"I know, I'm trying to be better. Really I am, I have a therapist and everything. I don't know what's wrong with me- this isn't who I wanna be okay?" He asked with some frustration.

"Okay," I replied.

"Look I wasn't raised to be a good person, I was raised to be the best person," Nate explained. 

"Okay," I said again.

"I don't need you judging me okay? You were dating a drug dealer, and you hang out with drug addicts," He said.

"Don't you dare talk about them," I spat. I didn't even know I was saying it, until it was out. 

"Ah there's the fire in you, I missed it," Nate said with a smirk, I looked up into the mirror and saw his eyes. I sat back silently again, and then we pulled into the restaurant. He parked the car and then he turned and looked at me and smiled. Then he got out of the car and came and opened the car door for me. A monster dressed up in Abercrombie. 

"You look really pretty Diana,"  He said sincerely.

"Thanks," I said insincerely. 

"I mean it," He said looking deeply into my eyes. I looked away from him but suddenly he reached and grabbed my hand and started walking towards the restaurant.