8

Buckets of sweat continued to drip down James' and Jordan's face. After lifting heavy weights, they were immediately ordered to do a hundred push-ups while the other students did their normal physical activities. As they counted out loud the amount they were at, the blond bearded instructor paced around them and would yell at them to go at a faster rate. It wasn't out of the norm for James to be treated in this type of way, he joined the military junior military program to make himself stronger. He hoped that he could get to the point of being able to defend himself from his father. Although from where he's at, he could do some damage, but he knew that if he even attempted to lay a finger on the older man, he would have ended up buried six feet underground.

"Alright boys. That's enough for now. You still have another class period, so head over to your activities."

Jordan weakly crawled over to the wall beside him and laid his back against it. James, however, immediately dropped his body to the ground and let out a raspy groan. His arms, torso, and legs were numb all around and every time he tried to lift his head up, it went back down on to the polished wooden floor. A pain in his forehead was gradually getting worse, he felt like it was the worst type of pain he's ever experienced.

I'd rather much have my dad throw a bottle at my head than have this fucking headache.

How am I still alive?

After a few minutes, James managed to regain enough strength for him to turn his head around to the direction where Jordan sat against the wall. He was placing what looked like ointment on a small portion of his arm.

James made no movements other than having his back rise everytime he breathed in. It clear to him that his friend was distressed. The moment when he saw the three plum lines replayed in his mind as he watched the other search for an item in his backpack.

He looks so sad.

Was I harsh when I told him to shut up? Well, the words 'shut up' itself is harsh, but I didn't really mean it that way.

James waited a brief moment to ready up his muscles. It took him about a minute to crawl less than five feet to stay at a close distance in front of Jordan. While sitting with his legs criss-crossed, he groaned and noticed that Jordan's small movements had stopped. He decided to help Jordan, who was struggling with wrapping a strip of gauze around his arm. When he took a hold of the arm, Jordan flinched but allowed James to continue. Once James finished securing the strip, he lifted his head to look at Jordan

"Jordan, I understand if you don't want to talk about this," James paused when he placed his hand on the other's wrist. It was difficult to continue to the lump in his throat and twisting in his stomach.

He tried his best to gulp down the feeling and proceeded to finalize his sentence. "But please don't lie to me. I care about you. You've probably heard that a bunch of times, but know that when I say it, I really do mean it. I'm not so sure what the right thing is to say because I don't know why you did it. We've known each other for less than a month and it already bothers me to see you like this. It's pretty clear that this is bothering you as well, so I beg you, please just talk to me."

I shouldn't let Jordan stay silent. I'm certain that he has too many things bottled up in him. Those things or whatever they are could kill him. Just like they did to Megan. I still miss her.

As James waited for Jordan to speak, he gently put Jordan's rough hand into his. The teen's thin, daisy digits had slightly long fingernails and tiny, blond hairs closest to his wrist. He had firm hands that were red from the constant use of them.

"James."

Jordan's voice croaked, sounding as if he was dehydrated. Once James heard him, he instantly propped his head up with hopeful eyes. He felt like giving Jordan a whole lecture of why he should never harm himself, but he knew that it wasn't necessary. His friend didn't need to feel even more guilty for his actions.