9) Message From Unknown Number

I shut the door behind me and let out a sigh. Home, at last.
After dropping my keys and coat on the countertop, I called Sierra to be sure her nephew was okay. When she picked up, she told me they just got back from the hospital and explained what had happened. Apparently, her nephew didn't break anything but he did have a sprained ankle. I felt really bad for him, no matter how many times Sierra promised me he was doing alright and I wished him a fast recovery.

Suddenly, a cheerful voice in the background interrupted our conversation.

"Sierra, the movie is starting! Are you coming?"

I chuckled and heard Sierra do the same.

"See? He's fine", she reassured me.

"Isn't it a bit late for him now?" I wondered.

"Well, yeah, but I agreed to watch something with him before he goes to bed. He did very well at the hospital and since he doesn't have school tomorrow, I thought why not?" she explained.

But before she could join her film-loving nephew, she desperately wanted to know how things went with Alex. After some hesitation and a lot of encouragement from Sierra, I gave her a quick summary, but strategically left out some details to avoid her, otherwise sure to come, teasing comments. 

"Sierra?! You're gonna miss the entire movie!" the now rather annoyed voice sounded again. 

"Sorry, seems like I gotta go. Good night, Y/N!" she apologised.

"Good night!" I smiled.

Relieved that everything was alright, I went on with my usual evening routine and about half an hour later I lay in bed, eyes wide open. I was extremely tired but still not able to sleep, something that happened a lot these days...

I was staring at the ceiling when a sudden buzz coming from the bedside table startled me.
My phone.
I picked it up and winced at the bright screen. Once my eyes adjusted to the light, I could read the notification.

'Message from unknown number'

Who on earth might that be, texting me in the middle of the night?!

"Hey Y/N! It's me, Alex. Sorry for disturbing you, I hope I didn't wake you up, but I just remembered something. I promised to show you some pictures of Kevin and I kinda forgot about it at the station. So here they are!"

What followed were no less than twenty pictures of Kevin and every single one of them melted my heart a little bit more. 

"Omg Kevin is so cute!! Thank you so much!" I texted him back.

"I know right?! And you're welcome! :) " he answered.

"Wait a second... How did you get my number?" I wondered.

"I have my connections ;)" he simply said.

"Anyways, it's really late and I'll be heading to bed soon. See you tomorrow?" 

"Yeah, sure! See you tomorrow!" I replied.

I placed my phone back where I found it and with a slightly faster heartbeat, I continued staring at the ceiling. Only this time, I couldn't stop smiling and helped by a distantly familiar warm and comforting feeling, I drifted off to sleep.

The next few days I texted Alex a lot. Sierra started a group chat with us three and we became pretty close. Every week or so Sierra invited me for drinks after rehearsals. I was so happy I got to see her more often! It looked like I didn't have to be scared of her show robbing me of our quality time after all, on the contrary! Sometimes other cast and crew members agreed to come as well, but mostly it was just us. Between the jokes, laughs and sometimes even drunk gibberish, I discovered quite a lot about Alex, and Sierra told me some things that I'd never heard before too. After only four weeks I knew their entire backstory and they knew mine. Not that it was so interesting in my opinion. But Alex and Sierra loved it when I talked about myself, so I did. 

Time flew by and before I knew it, it was already December. The 5th, to be exact. 

I was working on yet another boring assignment when I heard a ping, distracting me. 

A text from the group chat, of course. 

"Hey guys, I was wondering if you have any plans for Christmas Eve?" I read.

"Hi, Sierra! No, not yet. Why are you asking?" I answered.

"Well, I thought maybe you could spend it here with me if that's alright?" Sierra offered.

"Uh yeah sure, why not?" Alex joined in.

"I'm fine with that!" I agreed.

"It's settled then! Oh, and I had this idea to go ice skating? " Sierra suggested.

"Yes, absolutely!" Alex replied almost instantly.

"Y/N?" Sierra asked.

"I don't know... I'm terrible at skating", I confessed.

"Then we'll teach you!" Sierra proposed.

"I'm not sure that's gonna work..." 

"Oh come on Y/N! Please? Do it for me?" Alex begged.

"Now you can't say no, Y/N!" Sierra teased me.

"Pretty please?" Alex tried again.

"Ugh, alright fine! Just don't laugh at me every time I go flat on my face", I gave in.

"We'll try", Sierra assured me.

"But we can't promise anything ;)", Alex added and I rolled my eyes. 

This is gonna be fun...