Chapter Nine

Moving into your new home with friends and family is the only way to do it and get it all done in a single day. The house that started the day with only a few blankets and pillows and a laptop now had boxes piled to the ceiling in nearly every room, furniture was placed in the designated rooms and that was enough effort for the day.

Pizza boxes littered the kitchen, and Leia bounced back into the pool as soon as Jasper brought in the last box from my jeep. There was a vibe in the house that made me the happiest I'd been in a long time. I never wanted it to end. Though everyone knew good things didn't last forever.

Two days after Carly, Leia and Brittany showed up, they had to leave. But before they left, we were going to make sure they had a day in Florida that's as the just unpacking their friends new home. The day after they arrived, and after a good amount of boxes had been emptied and delivered to the dump, we went to the ocean.

My father and Jasper had been the only ones in our group to have ever been to the ocean before. For the rest of us, it was brand new and it was amazing.

We sat along the sandy shore of Cocoa Beach. The sun was shining and felt warm on our skin without being overbearing. The water lapped at our legs as we sat, every so often collecting a sea shell that washed ashore.

Brittany rested her head on my shoulder as we watched Jasper and Leia snorkel under the water to get a better look at the sea creatures just below them.

"I'm going to miss this." She says quietly as she puts her arms around me and pulls me in for a hug. "Going to miss you. Maybe I can convince Leia to move down here eventually. Hospitals here do pay better than back in Rosenwood. I'm sure she'd want to get away from the snow back home. I know I do."

"Yeah," I bummed. "I'll be perfectly okay never seeing an ounce of snow ever again." I squeezed her back. "If you ever need a place to stay here, you know Jasper and I will welcome you with open arms no matter the time."

Brittany pulled back. "I know." She turned back to them just as Leia popped out of the water with a strand of seaweed, whipping it in Jasper's direction who then proceeded to yelp and dive back under the water.

We both laughed at the scene in front of us. "Who knew double dates at the ocean could be so much fun."

"Where are your parents?"

"They'll be here soon, they wanted to do a little Sunday drive around the area." I laughed. "Probably to look at potential retirement homes for when they finally decide to retire." I glanced down at the sand. "I don't think they'll ever truly leave Rosenwood though. No way will they leave Blaine there by himself."

Brittany promised that her and Leia would go to Blaine's grave at least once a week to spruce it up and leave fresh flowers and to give him some friend time. They'd be there when my parents couldn't, also they'd be there because of Jasper and I no longer being there. It was nice to have friends liked that, friends that cared about something that meant so much to someone else.

Eventually I found my way into the water, swimming up to Jasper who caught me in his arms, holding me close. Putting my arms around his neck, I kissed him.

"Nothing like a day at the ocean." He murmured. "Glad the weather decided to be nice today."

The nice weather wasn't supposed to last long. A huge rainstorm was supposed to come the day after my parents left which was only a few days away. Hurricane season was also right around the corner. We had a lot to prepare for.