Chapter 4 - The Calm Before The 3rd Floor Boss Fight

Kizmel told me the whole story there and then, and it only confirmed what I had feared. I had to stop N'ltzahh and Kysarah and the rest of the Dark Elves from getting their hands on the Holy Tree, even if it meant I would (and eventually did) end up having to fight at least one of them as the floor boss. In the wake of the fight with N'ltzahh, I started practicing with Kirito and Asuna, in order to better my skills to match that of my opponent. I was going to need it, I knew that for a fact. At the same time, the two elven kings gave me access to the records and books about the history of the former demon lord Monschau. He used to be the undisturbed ruler of the whole of Aincrad, a man that was feared by many, even the floor bosses. (Author Note: If anyone is familiar with the role of Ainz from the anime Overlord, the Demon Lord of Aincrad is his equivalent here.) He had a harem of exotic women that were some of the most purest maidens of Aincrad as a whole. He died 35 in-game years(for real life relevance, I'm going to say that would be over a month before the events of this book, while SAO was still in development) ago, with no heirs, and no sign of his black sword that he inscribed with his powers was ever seen after he died. Until now, that is.

It was a really tense period outside of my studies and training as well. Although the girls, especially Evelyn, argued about who should try to get my mind calmed down from the whole situation, they all understood what lay on my shoulders. Even yours truly understood that currently the fate of everyone inside Aincrad, including us players' chances of beating the game, lay squarely on my shoulders. Was I scared? A little bit. Worried I might not succeed? Yes. But I wasn't a coward, if the events of the previous floors can tell you. You probably could expect what I did do, even when things escalated in the labyrinth. I faced it like a man.

It was about a week before I was finally ready to beat the Third Floor Boss and defeat N'ltzahh as well. Diavel, Kibaou, and the two elven kings all agreed that the force of Dark Elves, Forest Elves, dissenting Fallen Elves, and Players be placed under my personal command, much to my surprise and satisfaction. But when we arrived at the Third Floor Labyrinth, it was clear that N'ltzahh had already gotten there first. There was Kysarah, limping out of the labyrinth, slashed in multiple places, still alive but bleeding, saying as loud as she can, "Help me!"
"For ****'s sake" I shouted. "Get a medic or something and help me, I'm going after N'ltzahh!" I ran into the labyrinth, and for some reason, everyone else besides the people that did help Kysarah just stood there. I cut through the minions that stood in my way, and made it to the boss room. N'ltzahh's sword lay in front of the boss room, speckled with blood. I could hear the moaning inside the room, and I stepped inside. N'ltzahh's armor was in pieces, scattered like shrapnel all around the boss room lodged in the walls. It was then I saw the boss, the angry towering ogre that stood in front of me, and then I realized that this was N'ltzahh, or rather where his essence was. But the boss that stood before me as the door closed behind me wasn't N'ltzahh. It was...

Demonic The Fallen Elven.